Births, Marriages and Deaths from Thomas O’Shaughnessy’s Diary. Part 5. 1898 – 1903.

Births, Marriage and Death records from Thomas O’Shaughnessy’s Diary (1835 – 1903) with newsoper obituaries and other explanatory notes, for 1846 to 1903.

Part 5 of 5.             This page 1898 – 1903

1 Jan 1898 Andrew McClymont died.
2 Jan 1898 (Alice) Mrs Alfred Whittaker died.[Alice R McSpadden m. Alfred Whittaker Cowra. NSWBDM 3072/1893.]
3 Jan 1898 Mrs Huckel mother of W. Huckel, Mountain View Broula died.
11 Jan 1898 (Emma) Mrs T. Brown died.[Emma, age 53, daughter of James Smith. Married to Thomas Brown.]
12 Jan 1898 Mrs M.T. (possibly Sarah Smith) Pratt died. Woodstock.
13 Apr 1898 Kate O’Shaughnessy married to Robert McDonnell by Rev. Father Carroll at Mrs Costigan’s Residence Cooks Vale. [Catherine b.1868 was daughter of the diarist, Thomas O’Shaughnessy m. in Tuena, Robert McDonnell.]
13 May 1898 George Gillett putting a rope on top of load of hay at Sloans. The rope broke. He fell off and broke his neck.[George Gillett, , son of Henry and Susan. NSWBDM 5213/1898. Age 55, born Somerset.]
24 May 1898 Mrs George (Mary Ann) Wilson of Bumbaldry died.
15 Jun 1898 Mrs Nicholas Jordan formerly Mrs Edward Markham of Spring Vale died at Clifton near Darbys Falls. Aged 78 years.[Bridget Markham, as she then was, and her husband Edmund Markham were witnesses at the diarist’s marriage to Margaret Walsh in Cowra in January 1856.It was the first wedding in the newly proclaimed village.  “Cowra Guardian, 23 June 1898:“The wife of Mr Nick Jordan, of Clifton, near Darbys Falls, was gathered to the great majority on Wednesday morning, 6th Instant, at the advanced age of 78 years. The deceased lady was very well preserved for her years and would most probably have lived for many years if she had not encountered an attack of influenza and pneumonia in an acute form some weeks ago.The late Mrs Jordan was one of the oldest residents of the district. She was twice married, her first husband being the late Mr E. Markham, lessee of the Milburn Creek Station, and a highly respected pastoralist. She married Mr Jordan about 23 or 24 years ago. She was the mother of Mr Markham, Sen., of Mt McDonald, and Mrs O’Leary, Mulyan, and amongst her grandsons may be included Messrs. Markham Bros, Sawmill proprietors, of Mt McDonald. Her marriage connections in this district are pretty extensive, embracing nearly all the old pioneer families. The funeral was a very large one, reaching Cowra  between 1 and 2 p.m. on Thursday, when the body was removed from the hearse to the church, where customary prayers were recited by the Rev. D. O’Kennedy. The remains were subsequently conveyed to the local cemetery, the Rev. O’Kennedy performing the final rites. Widespread sympathy is felt with the mourning husband and relatives. ”   During her earlier marriage to Edmund Markham she had four children, James born on Milburn Creek in1836; Catherine b. 1838; Ellen Agnes b. 1841; and Mary b. 1852. James married Ellen Walsh (see 24 May, 1858 and they had ten children ; Catherine married John Nowlan of Bimbi and they has five children;  Ellen and Mary married two O’Leary Brothers (Frederick Joseph and Patrick Joseph) from the Boorowa area. They had ten and eight children respectively.
6 Jul 1898 Mary O’Shaughnessy married to Dennis McGrath at Patrick McGrath’s place, The Pines, near Bimbi.[Mary was the daughter of Thomas O’Shaughnessy, author of the Diary, and Margaret (Walsh) O’Shaughnessy. Cowra Free Press 21 July 1898: McGrath-O’Shaughnessy. On July 6, at the Residence of P McGrath Esq, by the Rev Fr McGrath, Young, ….son? of D McGrath, Co Limerick, Ireland, to Mary (Minnie), second oldest daughter of T O’Shaughnessy, Esq, Cowra.]
27 Jul 1898 Mrs (Catherine) Cameron Senr. died at her residence Glenmore, Morongla Creek. 80 years of age.[Catherine (Watson) Cameron arrived NSW with her husband Hugh (d. 1876) from Scotland in 1849 with two children Margaret and James (who died at 18 in 1865).  They had five other children in NSW.]
3 Oct 1898 John Peisley’s son, Sydney Peisley, 12 years old died. Typhoid.
9 Oct 1898 F.T. Strachan the barber died..
22 Oct 1898 Cornelius Austin known as Kucky Austin got killed from a fall from his horse on the Binni Road.[Francis Cornelius Austin age 28, son of William Austin and Mary Ann Adams. Married Sara Ford. Died Binni Creek road, about two miles from Cowra.]
3 Dec 1898 James Tyson died at his station Camboya, Darling Downs. 95 in the shade.[The diarist mentions the, by now very wealthy Tyson, holding over five million acres, because he had first met him in 1848 as a young man droving with his father to South Australia. His diary “Six miles lower down (the Lachlan) we passed James Tyson’s place. He was living in a reed gunyah. He had a few cows. He had not long taken this run up. “]
20 Dec 1898 Old Mrs Border died.
20 Dec 1898 Samuel Fletcher died
11 Jan 1899 William Montague Rothery Snr. died at Clifton (sic) aged 90. Living at Clifton (sic)  since 1831.[Cowra Free Press 19 Jan 1899. Death of Mr W M Rothery. An old pioneer settler in the person of Mr William Montagu Rothery, J.P., expired at his residence, Cliefden, on the morning of Wednesday 11(?) instant at the patriarchal age of 90 years. He arrived in this colony in 1830 and in January 1831 he embarked in squatting pursuits, selecting Cliefden, near Lyndhurst, as the field for his undauntable pluck, energy and enterprise. Shortly after he married Miss Lockyer, daughter of Major Lockyer, at one time Parliamentary Sergeant at Arms, by whom he had issue five sons and four daughters, of whom two daughters died towards the close of last year. The death of his amiable wife, which occurred about ten years ago, was a very sad blow to the aged colonist, and he felt the severance keenly to the end of his days. To the late Mr Rothery belongs the credit of being the first squatter who shipped wool direct to England, his connection with Messrs Baime and Co, woolbrokers, London, having been maintained for no less than 68 years. He was born in Devonshire, England in 1809, and after receiving a first class education and passing a course of legal training he was admitted to the bar. He never, however, practised his profession, but his legal knowledge made him in after years a very valuable acquisition to the magistracy of the colony. He was a great student and the possessor of a wonderful memory, a recital of his early experiences in the colony being always of great interest to those with whom he came in contact. He claimed the distinction of being the oldest surviving member of the Australian Club and the magistracy of the colony. Our deepest sympathies are with the much respected bereaved family.]
 27 Jan 1899  Thomas Walsh of Court House Hotel died at 5 o’clock  this morning aged 78..[. His obituary, in Cowra Free Press 2 Feb 1899: “ Another of the old pioneers of the district, and one who took a very deep interest in matters affecting the welfare of his adopted country, in the person of Mr Thomas Walsh, the genial and widely esteemed host of the Court House Hotel in our town, passed away at 9.30 pm on Friday last (27.1.1899) at the ripe old age of 78 years.  A deep gloom pervaded our entire community when the sad news became generally known.    The late Mr Walsh was born near Kilteely, County Limerick, Ireland, and arrived in Sydney in 1844, being then a young, vigorous and active man.  After spending a short time in the Yass district he came to this district and later on undertook the management of the Goolagong station for his sister, the late Mrs Challacombe (then Mrs Neville) and continued there for some years.  In 1858 he married Hannah, eldest daughter of the late Mr David Middlemis and then went to reside at Nanima, where he embarked in business as a hotelkeeper.  When the Woods Flat (Woodstock) goldfield was in its prime he started there as a storekeeper.  He afterwards conducted a hotel at the Junction, which then gave every promise of being a permanent and extensive goldfield.  About 25 years ago he purchased the present Court House Hotel at the time merely consisting of bare walls without a roof. One brother, Mr Wm. Walsh of Forbes and one sister, Mrs Markham of Milburn Creek, are now the sole survivors of a once large family of enterprising colonists.  Besides a sorrowing widow the late Mr Walsh leaves five grown up exemplary daughters out of a family of eleven, four daughters and two sons having died many years ago.  His good qualities won him a host of sterling friends and he was never known to have an enemy.”]
28 Jan 1899 In the evening I rode to Tom Walsh’s wake. Alick Middlemiss came. I was very sick in the morning.
29 Jan 1899 Funeral started at 12 o’clock, 100 vehicles and a great many on horseback. [Cowra Free Press. “On Saturday relatives and familiar old friends came from Grenfell, Goolagong, Carcoar, Cargo, Canowindra and other distant localities to evince their sorrow and sympathy.  The cortege comprised 95 vehicles and 100 horsemen, the largest funeral yet witnessed in our town.”]
3 Mar 1899 Kitty McDonnell has a young son. (Stanislaus?)[Catherine (1868-) nee O’Shaughnessy, seventh child, daughter of the Diarist.]
29 Mar 1899 Young (Joseph) Slessar married to Miss (Beatrice) Potts.
30 Mar 1899 Henry Dennis died at Canowindra. [Cowra Free Press 6 April 1899 The genial proprietor of the Miners Inn, Canowindra, Mr Henry Dennis, expired very suddenly and quite unexpectedly at his residence, Canowindra, at 4 a.m. on Thursday last. He complained of a fullness about the head on Wednesday and, with a view to removing the distressing symptoms , he resorted to the extensive use of cold water for laving purposes. Instead, however, of the desired result being gained, his condition became much worse, and as the night wore on, it became apparent that his complaint had assumed an alarming phase, hence a messenger was speedily despatched to Cowra for medical assistance, but before Dr Bartlett could reach the sufferer he had passed beyond all human aid. It is surmised that death resulted from erysipelas or blood poisoning. When the sad news reached Cowra very general regret was felt for Mrs Dennis. The remains were interred in the Presbyterian portion of the general cemetery, Canowindra, on Good Friday. The funeral cortege, comprising 25 vehicles and 20 horsemen, was preceded by a number of the members of the Cowra Lodge of Freemasons, in full regalia, bearing green boughs and their various official emblems. The Rev Mr Thomson having read the funeral service of the Presbyterian faith, Bro H Y Smith, Worshipful master of the Lodge, conducted the Masonic service in a most impressive manner. The deceased’s regalia, the boughs borne by the brethren, and a very handsome wreath, sent by the Lodge, were placed on the coffin and buried with the remains. The late Mr Dennis, who was in his 65th year, was born in County Leitrim, Ireland, but was more intimately connected with the County Antrim. He arrived in this Colony with his late brother Thomas in 1860, and was shortly afterwards appointed orderly to Lord Belmore, who was then Governor. He subsequently served in the mounted police on the Braidwood goldfields, where he witnessed some exciting scenes. In 1866 he was transferred to Grenfell, and while there he left the police and joined a Mr McClennan with whom he carried on business for a short time as auctioneer. He next became a miner, and followed that avocation at Grenfell and Gulgong in later years with varying success. While at Gulgong, he married and became a hotelkeeper. He came to Cowra in 1876 and for several years conducted the Fitzroy Hotel. Shortly after the incorporation of the town, he obtained a seat in the Borough council, which he retained until he removed to Bathurst to take charge of the Duke’s Hotel. About four years ago, he became host of the Miners Inn, Canowindra, a position he held to the time of his death. The late Mr Dennis was a genuinely warmhearted man, who had very many good qualities and few faults. As a friend, he was always loyal and staunch to the core, and in that relation he is mourned by a very large circle in this and neighbouring districts.]
8 Apr 1899 Jack Chivers’ baby (Jessie I H) died.
28 Apr 1899 (Bridget Mary) Mrs Charles Whittaker, Big Paddy Walsh’s daughter died last night.[Not related to the Walsh siblings from Co Limerick.]
30 Apr 1899 Mrs Whittaker buried.
15 May 1899 Charley Nathong, a Chinaman, died Cowra. [He had conducted a small grocery store and bakery in Cowra. Cowra Free Press 18 May 1899 Another Old Identity Gone. A very old resident in the  in the person of Charley Nathong, a Chinese of irreproachable character, died at his residence, Bridge Street, on Monday last from the effects of asthma, after a lengthy illness. Since the death of his wife, to whom he was warmly attached, some years ago, the poor old fellow had not been favoured with good health, but his wants were generously supplied by Mrs Gong Lee and other kind friends, who also nursed him tenderly to the end. The old fellow was received into the Roman Catholic Church many years ago, and since then he has been a true and devout member of that denomination. He was always upright, straightforward, and honest in his dealings, and was very highly respected by all the old residents of the town and district. His remains were interred in the Roman Catholic portion of the cemetery on Tuesday afternoon in the presence of a number of old friends and Chinese residents. The Rev D O’Kennedy officiated at the grave.]
24 May 1899 Mrs Hugh McLeod died.
29 Jun 1899 Charles Ginty of Nyrang Creek poisoned skinning dead bullock.  [Cowra Free Press. 6 July 1899. Death of Mr C M Ginty. It is with feelings of very great regret we record the death of Mr Charles M Ginty, a very old and highly esteemed resident of Canowindra, and one of the kindest hearted men that ever breathed. The sad event occurred at the local Hospital on Thursday morning a few hours after his admission to that Institution, his case having been pronounced hopeless from the first by his medical adviser, Dr Foley. It appears that about a week prior to his death, Mr Ginty while skinning a dead bullock cut one of his fingers, and, a short time after, the digit became swollen and painful, but the symptoms were not considered sufficiently alarming to necessitate skilled medical treatment. However, the inflammation spread at an alarming rate along the arm, and when the unfortunate man reached Cowra on Wednesday afternoon the swelling had extended to his neck and head, and his breathing was seriously interfered with. The cause of his death, we understand, was anthrax. Dr Foley did all that was possible to mitigate the deceased’s  sufferings during the last few hours of his life. The deceased leaves a widow and a young family. Very much sympathy is with the mourning relatives, all of whom are well known and highly respected throughout the district.]
9 Jul 1899 Mary Flood married to Dominish. [.Cowra Free Press 6 July 1899:  Mary T Flood m. William Dominish at Mt McDonald. NSW 6189/1899 At Mount McDonald on Monday last the Rev P J Doran united in the holy bonds of matrimony, Mr William Dominish, of Mt McDonald, to Miss Mary Flood of Cowra. Mr Oglethorpe gave the bride away and little Lydia cash and her sister were the bridesmaids. The church was crowded with friends of the happy couple. The customary festivities followed the event.]
1 Aug 1899 Job Chivers died this morning. [Job, (1876-1899) son of Robert and Ann, Cowra. Cowra Free Press 3 August 1899. Death of Mr Job Chivers. It becomes our sad duty once more to chronicle the demise of a very worthy and highly esteemed citizen, this time in the person of Mr Job Chivers, fourth son of the late Mr Robert Chivers, of back Creek and a member of the firm of Messrs Chivers Bros, storekeepers, Kendall St. During the past couple of months the dread complaint from which Mr Chivers suffered, viz; phthisis, made such rapid progress that it became painfully evident to his relatives and friends that his end was drawing near, still, with a tenacity of purpose characteristic of him he steadfastly remained at his post of duty to within a day or so of his death, despite the entreaties of his friends, and even then, although extremely weak, he refused to lie up. On Monday night he became alarmingly ill but, as he rallied towards morning, it was thought that he would survive the attack. The respite was, however, brief as at about 8 o’clock he again had a very bad turn and less than an hour later his spirit took flight to the great unknown. The subject of our notice, who was a native of the district, served his apprenticeship top the drapery business in the establishment of Messrs E Webb & ………………industry he was eventually given the full management of his department. While holding this position the effects of the disease with which he was afflicted compelled him to severe his with the firm after over seven years faithful service. A holiday of about eight months sufficiently re-established his health, in his opinion, consequently, about 12 months ago, he purchased and disposed of a bankrupt stock in Bathurst, and a month later he and his brother John started business in Cowra as general storekeepers. Our lamented townsman, who had only just entered on his 24th year, was widely esteemed and a great favourite with a hoist of friends, his popularity with his fellow employees in the Western Warehouse being evidenced by the very beautiful wreath sent by them. The sorrowing mother and family have the deepest sympathy of our entire community. The remains were followed to their last resting place in the local cemetery yesterday afternoon by a very large concourse of mourners, the final sad rites at the grave being performed with due solemnity by the Rev R Seymour-Smith. The funeral arrangements were excellently carried out by Messrs Poignard Bros, Undertakers.
9 Aug 1899 George Lawrence died.
6 Dec Joe Potter married to John Bryant’s daughter (Susanna).
6 Dec 1899 (Herman E) Britz married to Miss (Mary W) Howey.(Mt McDonald)
28 Dec 1899 Big Paddy Walsh, Back Creek, died.[Patrick Walsh b 1820 Ireland, from Co Limerick, m. Bridget Kelly in 1859 in Molong NSW. Died at Back Creek. Buried Cowra RC Cemetery. This Patrick Walsh is not one of the Walsh siblings (including a Patrick) who emigrated from Caherconlish and are referred to in the introduction.]
30 Dec Charles Wiggins died in Cowra.
3 Jan 1900 Harry Hart married to Lilly Fitzgerald the Younger
31 Jan 1900 Bubonic plague raging in Sydney.
19 Feb 1900 Keiran Cornelius Augustine Cummings, J.P. at Vernon Terrace, Woollahra formerly of Darlington Point, Murrumbidgee.[Son of Mr W Cummings – see 23 Feb 1891. Almost half a century earlier, the diarist recalls in his diary  “29 Apr 1857…Mount Dispersion. 10 miles. This is the place where Mitchell slaughtered the blacks. We met William and Keiren Cummings with two mobs of cattle for the Adelaide market. 30 Apr 1857  Camped all day. The Cummings stayed with us.]
26 Mar 1900 Samuel Brown died at the Australian Hotel.
27 Mar 1900 Samuel Brown’s funeral.
6 Apr 1900 Mrs Riddle died at the Hospital.
1 May 1900 Bank NSW Manager, Grenfell, shot.
10 May 1900 Madame Rigaut very ill.
16 May 1900 James Joseph Ryan, late Ryans Vale near Goulburn, died at his residence, Greenwich Park.[Ryansvale, near Goulburn . Ryan b. 1835 married Mary Ann Shanahan 1857. Buried Goulburn. Twelve children. His brother William married Mary Neville, neice of the diarist.]
15 Aug 1900 J.J. Maher died at Waverley.
16 Aug 1900 Peter Mallon died, Mandurama.[Peter, (1856-1900) son of Peter  Joseph Mallon (1815-1899) of Jugiong  and Mary (Walsh) Mallon (1824-1884) who was one of the eight Walsh siblings who emigrated from Co Limerick in the 1840s. see introduction. Pater (Jr) was the husband of  Mary Ellen (Rigney).Cowra Free Press 30 August 1900. The Late Mr Peter Mallon. We glean from the ‘Carcoar Chronicle’ that Mr Peter Mallon, formerly of this district expired at his residence near Mandurama on the 16th Instant, after an illness extending over some months. He was a native of Jugiong where his relatives are legion. He was also nearly related to Mr and Mrs Thomas Callan of Tenandra nearCanowindra, and other highly respected families in this district. Our deepest sympathies are with the sadly afflicted in their hour of bitter trial.]
20 Aug 1900 Thomas Whitty died in Bathurst, under an operation. 62 years old. [Cowra Free Press 30 August 1900. Death of an Old resident. It becomes our painful duty to record the death of Mr Thomas Whitty of Milburn Creek, a very old resident of the district and a much respected and well known figure in our community. The sad event took place at Bathurst where he was undergoing special treatment for an internal complaint from which he had been an acute sufferer for some months, and it was while he was submitting to this that he succumbed. To an ordinary observer Mr Whitty appeared to be in the enjoyment of robust health, consequently the news of his death was at first received with incredulity, but, when confirmatory wires were later on received by various members of the family, very general regret was expressed. The remains were interred in the Roman Catholic cemetery at Bathurst on Sunday, a large number of relatives and friends being amongst the mourners.   The late Mr Whitty, who was a native of Ireland and 62 years of age, came to the colony with his parents when he was very young, and he was a resident of this district for many years. He belonged to that sturdy class of settlers who breasted and surmounted difficulties which many mortals would never attempt, and by his industry and thrift he managed to acquire a very snug little property, hence he leaves his widow and grownup family of seven children fairly well provided for. Amongst the surviving members of the family are his brothers Patrick and Edward, of Darbys Falls, and his sisters Mrs Thomas Smith of Cocomingla, and Mrs Thomas Hyde of Holmwood, all of whom are very worthy and much respected colonists. Our heartfelt sympathies are with the sorrowing family.]
21 Aug 1900 As Tom Wills was going down the well at Lane’s soap factory, a piece of timber fell from the top on his head and knocked him off the rope into the water. Dead when brought up.[Thomas N M, son of  John and Mary, Cowra. NSW 8701/1900. [Cowra Free Press 23 August 1900. Shocking Fatality. Death of a Popular Townsman. Our townsfolk were horrified on Tuesday afternoon to learn that Mr Thomas Wills, plumber and tinsmith, one of our most respected citizens, had met his death by falling down a well at Messrs Lane Bros soap factory while engaged in effecting repairs to a pump there. Upon going to the scene of the fatality we found quite a number of horror stricken friends and relatives of the deceased about the kitchen, where efforts of resuscitation were being made by Dr Roberts, Messts T Howard and T Fletcher, Senior Sgt Kenny and Constables Meagher, Hart, Tomb and others. As no signs of life were manifested after persevering for about two and a quarter hours it became only too painfully evident that the vital spark had fled beyond recall, hence further efforts were abandoned. The late Mr Wills was a nephew of Mr Peter Murray, and was connected with some of the oldest and most respected families of the district. He leaves a widow and four young children, who, through his industry and foresight are comfortably provided for. The funeral will take place this afternoon. Profound sorrow pervades our entire community through the terribly sad calamity and on all sides the deepest sympathy is expressed with the so suddenly bereaved family. Inquest, which can be read in CFP 23 8 1900) states that his full name was Thomas Nicoll Murray Wills, that his father was a grocer, that he was born at Dudehope Crescent, Dundee, Scotland on October 17, 1860.]
23 Aug 1900 I drove out to Tom Wills’ funeral. Oddfellows march.
1 Oct 1900 One of the Sisters died at the Convent.[Sister M. Catherine Bergin,died 1.10.1900 in the 21st year of Religious Profession. She was a lay sister in the Bridgidines (called Sister not Mother as the others were) meaning that she worked in the kitchen and didn’t teach or say Office as she would be cooking at that time. NSWBDM d12329/1900 . She was one of the original group of nuns who came to Coonamble from Ireland.Cowra Guardian 6 October 1900: Death of Sister Catherine: We regret to have to announce the death of Sister Catherine, who died after a long and painful illness, shortly after noon on Monday at the Brigidine Convent, Cowra. The deceased lady, who was 52 years of age, was anative of the parish of Monstrath, Queen’s County, Ireland, where she became a member of the Order of St Brigid, at the age of 19.  She arrived in the Colony in 1883 and for 11 years was at the Mother House of the Province, at Coonamble and came to Cowra in 1894. A Requiem Mass was celebrated on Tuesday Morning by the Rev father O’Kennedy and was largely attended. The funeral moved from St Raphael’s Church at 11 o’clock the same day. As the remains were being removed from the church the “Dead March” in Saul” was rendered upon the Organ. A number of the Children of Mary, and about 200 children attending the Convent High and Primary Schools walked in the procession immediately behind the Hearse, following whom were several vehicles.] 
2 Oct 1900 The Sister buried in the Cowra Cemetery.
18 Oct 1900 Mrs Pease of Koorawatha died at Mrs Walsh’s, Cowra.[Lilian, daughter of Henry G and Mary J. NSW12332/900.]
7 Dec 1900 A child of P Walsh’s died.{ Vincent T, son of Patrick Joseph and Mary Ann (Toohey) Walsh of Kikiamah.NSW12747/1900.]
17 Aug 1901 John Grace died at Bengellow, below Euston. Married to my sister Mary. 64 years of age. 6 sons, 3 daughters.[[John Grace 1837 – 1901; m. 24 Apr 1865 in Kapunda SA to Mary O’Shaughnessy 1844 – 1921 sister of the diarist. Newspaper cutting  17.8.1901 re John GRACE:.   EUSTON“A sensation of profound regret throughout this district, when the news was spread that Mr John Grace, the father of the homestead at Bengellow, a few miles below this town, on the Murray, had passed over the bourne from whence none returneth. The deceased gentleman’s health had been a source of great anxiety to his family for some time and at the end of last year his eldest daughter, who is a trained nurse, returned from West Australia to assist in preserving the life of her loving father. Last summer, Mr Grace’s condition had become so serious that it was necessary to call in medical aid and a doctor was brought from Mildura, a distance of forty miles. Since then, he had the keenest care and attention of his wife and daughters, and about the 16th Ultimo, the doctor was again brought from Mildura, but it was found that his case was hopeless, and after receiving the last rites of the Church, administered by father Shore, he quietly passed away. Mr Grace, who was 64 years of age, was a native of Sydney, where he resided for some time, and afterwards removed with his father to South Australia, where they carried on successful farming operations for some years at Crystal Brook and Freeling.            He then returned to New South Wales and took up his residence at Beninee Lake, whence he finally removed to Bengallow, where he had resided for about twenty years.            He was among the earliest adventurers of the regions, having crossed the Darling before the town of Wentworth existed, and he was able to relate many interesting tales of his pioneer days. During Mr Grace’s residence in the district, his kind manner and sterling qualities had won the respect and esteem of all who knew him. He was what is generally referred to as a “white man” and his nature was all of that genuine ring which made one feel at home in his company. He had been for years Justice of the Peace for this Colony and no man has ever been more entitled to that distinction and honour.            At Bengallow both he and Mrs Grace and family have made themselves famous by their hospitality and generous spirit. To know that Mr Grace is a nephew of Michael Dwyer, the great Irish Chief,  is proof that his life-blood flowed with true affection for the Catholic Church of which he was a devout member.He had a wide circle of relations, amongst whom are many of the best Catholic families in Australia.Mrs Grace survives her husband, and with her are left six sons and three daughters, all of whom are grown up.

The funeral took place on Saturday 27th Ultimo, at Gol Gol and was largely attended, the burial prayers being conducted by Rev. Father Shore. “


SUNRAYSIA  DAILY 1921 re Mary (O’Shaughnessy) GRACE (The diarist’s sister)

“Burned their Wool  –  A Romance of Early River Settlement.

        At Boort, Victoria, on the 3rd of January there passed away Mrs Mary Grace, who had lived many years at “Bengallow” in the district of Euston N.S.W.   She was born 74 years ago on the Lachlan River where her father, the late Thomas Shaughnessy, had “Mulguthrie” Station.   While she was an infant  (born 1847  )  her father decided to try the new wheat growing lands of South Australia.  Wool was then too low in price to be worth the expense of carting by teams to Sydney for sale.   So Thomas Shaughnessy simply burnt it.

        Believing his property to be useless for cultivation, he sold out and made a fresh start.   “Mulguthrie” is now part of Burrawong wheat land, and as good as any in the country.

        A neighbour, Patrick Grace, having burnt his wool, also decided that the Lachlan was no good.  He too sold out.  The two families travelled overland together, crossed the Darling River where Wentworth now stands.   The Blacks (sic) were friendly and helped with their canoes.

        On reaching South Australia the two men took up new land at Sheoak Log and Crystal Brook respectively, and set about wheat growing.  They endured all that pioneers endured in those days, and finally were buried, one in Gawler, and one in George-town, South Australia.

        In 1864 Mary Shaughnessy married John Grace, her sister having already married his brother James.   In the seventies these young men, with their families, came back into New South Wales, recrossing the Darling River at the Town of Wentworth, and settling at Lake Benanee, Euston.   Here they remained until 1880, when they took up the adjoining properties of “Bengallow” and “Culpra”, later owned by D.Wickett and J.K. Buxton respectively.

        When gold was found in Western Australia, James Grace and his family moved over there.   John Grace elected to remain on the Murray River.   He died in 1901 and is buried in the Gol-Gol Cemetery.   His wife and family eventually sold “Bengallow” and went to live in Melbourne.

        Mrs Grace was kind and hospitable to all who came her way, and will be regretted by old friends and neighbours.  She has left a family of three daughters and six sons … the Misses Sarah (who was a trained sister) Maud and Elenora, Melbourne and Messrs W.S.Grace “Tara-Downs” Station (Wentworth), T.P. Grace “Norwood” Station (Balranald), J.J. Grace (Boort), M.D. Grace (Deniliquin), S.J. Grace (Euston) and J.M. Grace (Melbourne).   Her sister Mrs James Grace (Perth) survives her.

(Thomas’s wife Ann (nee Byrne) – the diarist’s mother – is recorded as having died at ‘Culpra’ on July 31, 1889, as ‘O’Shaughnessy’    The ages of her offspring are listed as  :  Thomas, 54; Sarah 49; Mary 40; John, 39; and Patrick, 36.)]


18 Sep 1901 Ernest Storer Twig married to Miss [Margaret] O’Neill.
25 Oct 1901 John Brown died this morning.
26 Oct 1901 H Watt and I rode to John Brown’s funeral.
30 Oct 1901 Stephen Alfred Martel died in Sydney
25 Nov 1901 Boy named Corbett drowned in river at the railway bridge.[Edward M , age 16, son of Mortimer Corbett  and Catherine Brady.]
15 Dec 1901 Mrs Austin’s father drowned at Cootamundra.
12 Feb 1902 Miss O’Leary died. Consumption.[Bridget O’Leary (1874-1902) first child and daughter of Patrick and Mary (Markham) O’Leary.]
23 Feb 1902 (William) Whittaker, a deaf man, died.
18 Apr 1902 At the Hospital. (Minnie) A daughter of T Hyde badly burnt.
19 Apr 1902 Hyde’s daughter died.[Minnie, daughter of Thomas and Rosanna NSW 4950/1902.]
20 Apr 1902 Hyde’s daughter buried.
1 Jun 1902 George Randall died.  The wheelwright, in the Hospital.
19 June 1902 Thomas Walsh’s daughter Maggie (Margaret b. 1872) married Philip Kearins.Cowra Free Press 19 June 1902: “WEDDING BELLS” Mr Philip Kearins, of Kildary Station, near Temora, eldest son of Mr Patrick Kearins, of Templemore Marengo, was wedded on Tuesday last at the residence of the bride’s mother, near Cowra, to Miss Maggie Walsh third daughter of the late Mr Thomas Walsh, the ceremony being performed by the Rev D O’Kennedy. The wedding party was solely confined to the near relatives of the bride and bridegroom, and being thus of a private character we are not in a position to describe any of the bridal costumes. We are nevertheless aware that the wedding presents were exceedingly numerous and comprised many very handsome and costly articles. The happy couple left the same evening for Sydney per train on their honeymoon trip. The occasion was seized by lady and gentleman friends to  give Mr and Mrs Kearins a most enthusiastic send-off at the railway station, confetti and other emblems of good luck being largely in requisition. The bride who is a native of Cowra, has succeeded by very many estimable qualities in establishing herself a general favourite in our community, and the bridegroom during his residence at Wattamondara became deservedly popular throughout the district, consequently their well wishers here are legion. Their future home is Kildary Station, in the fine Bland district. We heartily join with their very many friends in wishing Mr and Mrs Kearins a bounteous measure of happiness and prosperity.”
18 Feb 1903 Minnie McGrath confined of a son. Dennis Thomas.[Dennis T, son of Denis McGrath and Mary (O’Shaughnessy) McGrath. NSW12365/1903.]
16 Nov 1903 Nicholas Challacombe (Widower of Bridget Walsh (Neville) Challacombe.) died.[Cowra Free Press 19 November 1903.  The Late Mr Nicholas Challacombe.. After a lengthy and distressing illness which was borne with fortitude, and unmurmuringly, Mr N Challacombe breathed his last at his residence, badger, near Cowra, on Friday night, and our community mourns the loss of one of its oldest, best known, and most popular residents. Although he had not enjoyed robust health for some years, until a few weeks ago our late genial old townsman could not be persuaded to take to his bed and undergo medical treatment, and when he did eventually yield, it was painfully evident that his recovery was hopeless and that his days upon earth were numbered. Upon being apprised of his very critical condition, Mrs H Davis, his only offspring, hastened to his bedside and remained with him to the end, and thus very materially assisted to soothe the last hours upon earth of a thoroughly devoted and most indulgent parent. Although of a retiring and unobtrusive nature our late friend possessed the happy faculty of winning hosts of friends and never raising a single enemy. He was kindness personified, his sympathetic nature ever inclining him to perform charitable and benevolent acts in a most generous yet unostentatious manner. His was one of those natures which in consequence of their rarity never fail to win the admiration  and esteem of their fellow beings of every class who entertain the slightest respect for God’s choicest creations. The late Mr Challacombe first saw the light of day in the parish of Lynton, Devonshire, England, 78 years ago, and he landed in New South Wales in the prime of his youth and vigour in 1849, therefore he was a colonist of 54 years standing at the time of his demise. He took a very keen interest in sheep farming, and being of an observant and active disposition, he soon became an acknowledged expert in everything appertaining to pastoral pursuits, hence his services as a manager were in much request.  Some 48 years have elapsed since he undertook the control of James’ Park Station in this district, which was then owned by Mr West, father of our old townsman, Mr A.R.West, and he subsequently managed Bangaroo Station for Mr Icely. In 1868(sic) he married Mrs Neville, then proprietress of the Royal Hotel, Cowra, and forsook a pastoral life for some years. While associated with his wife in the hotel business, his very many estimable qualities rendered him extremely popular, and, as a result, he acquired sufficient of this world’s wealth to enable him to retire into private life about 22 years back, the erection of “Ilfracombe” his new home, having been completed by then. He was not, however, permitted to enjoy that peacefulness he sought for more than a very brief space, the sudden and wholly unexpected death of the partner of his joys and sorrows, causing him once more to enter upon his active life as manager of Cudgelo for Mr George Campbell, M.L.C. He held this position for several years and only relinquished it when he selected Badgery, a snug and valuable property in the parish of Neila, distant only a few miles from Cowra, where he peacefully ended his days. The remains of our old townsman were conveyed on Sunday afternoon to the Church of England portion of the local cemetery, the Rev R Seymour-Smith officiating at the grave. The funeral cortege was one of the largest and most representative that has been yet witnessed here. The tolling of St Raphael’s bell, as the funeral passed through the town, was a touching tribute of respect on the part of the Roman Catholic communion to the memory of a good and true man which could not fail to be appreciated by the mourners. The late Mr Challacombe’s nearest surviving relatives in Australia, ijn addition to his daughter Mrs Herman Davis, and her family, are Mr and Mrs P Squire, his nephew and niece respectively.]