Births, Marriages and Deaths from Thomas O’Shaughnessy’s Diary. Part 3. 1891 – 1894.

Births, Marriage and Death records from Thomas O’Shaughnessy’s Diary (1835 – 1903) with newsoper obituaries and other explanatory notes, for 1846 to 1903.

Part 3 of 5.       This page 1891 – 1894

18 Jan 1891 Thomas Gabbat died.
20 Jan 1891 T Gabbat buried.
5 Feb 1891 I started early with my intention to call at The Battery on my way to Cowra, to have a look at the tunnel that Charlie Littlefield and Schey are working in. I could not see any person to direct across to The Battery, so I had to come along the main road to Cowra. About two hours after I got to Cowra, word came from The Battery that the tunnel had fallen in about 30 feet back from the face they were working in. A great  many left Cowra and a lot of miners from Mount McDonald.[A substantial account of the incident and the rescue attempts as well as a report of the inquest can be found in Cowra Free Press of 13 and 20 February 1891. References to the roles of some members of the old local families read:  “Mr J N Jordan of Darbys Falls, who also worked well up to the time the bodies were recovered, measured the drive from its mouth to where Littlefield met his death… My J E Taylor did yeoman service in supplying those at work with tea and other refreshments, and the neighbouring settlers, including the Whittys, Lanes, Newhams, Harris, Jordans, Nevilles etc were large contributors of provisions to those engaged in the rescue work……..The jury at the Inquest consisted of T Neville, J N Jordan, T Ryan, R Newham, A Lane and D O’Brien……At the inquest was “David Newham, son of Richard Newham, residing with his father at Lovedale…”] 
6 Feb 1891 I took George Hurst with me in the buggy. We got to the Battery at 11 o’clock. The men in the tunnel got sight of Littlefield at 9 o’clock this morning. Dead. They could not get him out until 11 o’clock. His neck appears to be broken. The men cannot make any headway. It has caved in 30 feet high. They have to timber close as they go in. We started at 5 o’clock and got to Cowra at 8 o’clock.
7 Feb 1891            T West, Coroner, went up to the Battery. McLeod took up a coffin and brought Charles Littlefield’s body to Cowra. Schey not found yet.
8 Feb 1891 I drove out to Charles Littlefield’s funeral. Buried in the Cowra Cemetery. At 10 o’clock today, the search party at the Battery had not come to Schey’s body
8 Feb 1891 I drove out to Charles Littlefield’s funeral. Buried in the Cowra Cemetery. At 10 o’clock today, the search party at the Battery had not come to Schey’s body.
9 Feb 1891 The men in the tunnel at the Battery came to Schey’s body this evening.
10 Feb 1891 I put two break blocks on the buggy. The men got Schey’s body out of the tunnel at 4 o’clock. McLeod brought the body down in the hearse at 9 o’clock tonight.
11 Feb 1891 Schey buried at 4 o’clock. His brother the member for Redfern, and the deceased’s wife were here.
11 Feb 1891 Winch’s son (Harold) died this morning at 2 o’clock. Got overheated and went in to the river to bathe. Afterwards got a fit and lost the use of his limbs. (Age 19)
12 Feb 1891 Young (Harold) Winch buried today.
20 Feb 1891 Joseph Woodbridge, near Bang Bang, now Koorawatha, died.[Cowra Free Press 27 February 1891: The late Mr Joseph Woodbridge. After a protracted and distressing illness, the spirit of the genial, hospitable and warm-hearted Joseph Woodbridge has fled to the better land. The sad event took place at the deceased’s homestead at Crowther Creek on Friday last, and many and deep were the regrets  that were heard upon all sides when the mournful intelligence became known. The late Mr Woodbridge has been a resident of the district since 1854, and he has at all times taken an active part in every movement calculated to further its advancement. We have known him for a period of thirty years and can testify to his manly, upright bearing and strict conscientiousness over that lengthy stretch, and we have every reason tom believe that his character through life has been the same. The deceased’s health began to fail some 20 years ago, and since then he has been more or less a sufferer, the best medical skill being only able to afford him very temporary relief. About four or five months ago it became evident that he was in the final stages of phthisis or consumption and he then took to his bed, from which he never after rose until death came to his release. The late Mr Woodbridge at the time of his death had almost attained his 59th year. He was a native of Campbelltown in this Colony and was a most patriotic and enthusiastic Australian. He leaves a disconsolate widow, and a family of three sons and four daughters, three of whom are married, to mourn their irreparable loss. The remains of all that is earthly of a much esteemed resident and affectionate husband and father were interred at the Roman Catholic cemetery, Marengo, on Sunday last, when a large number assembled from all parts of the surrounding district in testimony of the respect they entertained for the memory of the departed. The funeral cortege comprised 45 vehicles and about 60 horsemen.]
23 Feb 1891 Old Tom Cummings died. Brother to Mrs D Donnelly, Cowra. [Cowra Free Press 27 Feb 1891:“It becomes our painful duty to record the death of another true son of the soil, a thoroughly typical Australian, one of nature’s noble men, genial, warm hearted, intelligent, generous to a fault, and true as steel to a friend. We refer to the late Mr Thomas A Cummings, who joined the silent majority on Monday evening at about 5 o’clock after a very long and exceedingly painful illness. Our departed friend contracted a complaint about 20 years ago, and since that time he has been an intensive sufferer, the symptoms assuming a complicated and aggravated form as time rolled on, and in the latter stages he became a confirmed invalid, being almost continuously under medical treatment, and for over ten months scarcely leaving his bed. At the commencement of the latter period he came from Sydney and took up residence with his son, Mr Thomas Cummings at Back Creek, and continued to reside there until Tuesday 17th Instant, when his condition became so alarming that his removal to town to be near his medical advisor was deemed expedient. The Rev Fathers O’Kennedy and Doran and the Sisters of St Joseph, frequently attended the lamented gentleman. The late Mr Cummings was the eldest son of Mr Wm Cummings who so long and ably represented the constituency of East Maitland in Parliament. In his youth he was one of the best athletes in the Bathurst district, and for many years took an active interest in cricket and sport of almost any description. He was born at Kissing Point, Parramatta River, in January 1832, consequently at the time of his decease he had entered his 60th year. At a comparatively early age he married Miss Ford of Bathurst, the daughter of an old and well known resident of that city, who bore to him five sons and one daughter, all of whom are still living. Between two and three years after the death of the wife of his youth, which took place about eleven years ago, he married Miss Lawson, of Peel, by whom there has been no issue, and who still survives him. Amongst the deceased’s other surviving relatives are his venerable mother, his sisters and brothers: Miss Cummings, Mr W A Cummings, Mrs D C J Donnelly, Mrs S A Donnelly (Armidale),Mr K A Cummings (Darlington Point), Mrs S Wright;  and his sons and daughter – John, William, Thomas, Mary Anne, Henry, and Edmund. The remains of the late Mr Cummings were conveyed from the residence of Mr S Wright to the Church at 4 o’clock on Tuesday afternoon, where prayes for the dead were read by the Rev.  Father Doran. A very large number of relatives and friends followed the remains to the Roman catholic Cemetery, where the last sad rites were performed by the Rev Fathers O’Kennedy and Doran. Very keen sympathy with the bereaved family in their season of sorrow is very widely felt.”
24 Feb Cummings buried.
26 Mar A chinaman found drowned near Mulyan in the river.
6 Apr 1891 A man named Ryan buried today. [Probably John, son of Thomas and Ellen NSWBDM 5465/1891.]
21 Apr 1891 John Connelly married to Emma Chivers,
2 May 1891 Nellie (Ellen) Monaghan died at 7 o’clock this morning[Cowra Free Press: On Saturday morning, Miss Nellie Monaghan, second daughter of the late Mr B (Bernard) Monaghan, expired at (Ellen) her mother’s residence in this town, after a very lengthy illness, which she bore with characteristic meekness and forbearance. About twelve months ago the worst symptoms of that fell disease, consumption, manifested themselves and although all that medical skill could do top prolong life was resorted to, she gradually but surely grew worse, but up to within the last couple of months she did not feel sufficiently indisposed to retire from duty. She was for several years in the employ of Mr Donnelly, as saleswoman in the millinery department of the Phoenix Warehouse, and in that capacity, by her kind and obliging disposition gained many friends and admirers. Only three years have elapsed since her elder sister fell prey to the same complaint  at the same age – the subject of this notice had only attained her 21st year. The esteem in which poor Nellie was held was evidenced by the very large number of people of the town and district who followed her remains to the grave on Sunday afternoon. We have not seen sop large a funeral cortege in this town before, no less than 45 vehicles and 46 horsemen and a large number on foot of both sexes taking part in the procession. The coffin was borne to the Catholic Church and through the town by Mr Donnelly’s male employees, a number of employees of the other sex and about thirty convent schoolgirls following on foot, then came the vehicles and horsemen. The remains were interred in the Roman Catholic Cemetery. Profound sympathy is expressed on all sides with the heartbroken mother and grief stricken family.]
3 May 1891 Nellie Monaghan buried. Large funeral.
17 July 1891 Daniel Curry died.
20 Jul 1891 Word came to Cowra that one of the young Newhams drowned in the river below Forbes. The water very high at Forbes.[Frederick John, son of John and Elizabeth. NDWBDM 5176/1891.]
24 Jul 1891 Sandy Ferguson died at Mrs Robinson’s today.[Alexander Ferguson Cowra Free Press 31 July 1891- Another Old Resident Gone – Mr Alexander Ferguson of Canowindra, died somewhat suddenly and unexpectedly at the residence of his sister-in-law, Mrs Robertson, in this town on Friday last. He had not been in good health for a day or so and as his condition did not improve he came to Cowra on Thursday, the day preceding his death, for medical advice and treatment, but no one ever supposed for a moment that his complaint had assumed a dangerous phase, the symptoms up to within a very short time before dissolution not being of an alarming character, consequently the shock to his family when the sad event took place was very severe indeed. The late Mr Ferguson resided in the Canowindra district for upwards of 40 years, during which time he has been principally engaged in grazing pursuits. He wasw widely known and highly esteemed and respected by all classes. His industry, thrift and keen business tact enabled him to amass a fair share of this world’s gifts, consequently the family he leaves behind him is well provided for. Very great regret is expressed upon all sides at the removal of so well known and worthy a member of our community. The remains were conveyed to Canowindra on Friday for interment in the local cemetery.]
2 Aug 1891 Sunday. Old (Andrew) Rowan from Koorawatha, (Mary) Mrs James Duffey’s father, buried today.
14 Aug 1891 A sister of Links the Baker, died last night. Typhus fever.
18 Sep 1891 A son of Mrs Enright, a Saddler, died at Cowra.[William b. 1867, son of Patrick and Margaret.  [Cowra Free Press 25 Sep 1891. Sudden Death. At about 3 o’clock on Friday morning, Mr William Enright, a most exemplary young man, breathed his last at his mother’s residence, Kendall St. A few weeks ago, acting under the advice of his medical attendant, he visited Sydney, and entered Prince Alfred’s Hospital. He was examined in due course, the result being an expression of opinion by some of the medical staff, that he was suffering from an affection in the lower part of the throat, brought on by straining through excessive vomiting; but one of the surgeons maintained that the indications were surely those of an abnormal growth, and that the only chance of averting a fatal termination lay in the performance of an exceedingly critical and hazardous operation. Mr Enright, being inclined to place more reliance on the opinion expressed by the majority of medical men than one, returned to Cowra in the early part of last week, and whilst going amongst his friends appeared to be quite hopeful, and stated that he had derived much benefit from the trip. On Thursday he was about as usual, and did not complain of any uneasiness until about bedtime. Shortly before 3 o’clock on the following morning, one of the inmates of the house, hearing an unusual noise issuing from Mr Enright’s room, hastened to ascertain the cause, and found the poor fellow out of bed, struggling and gasping for breath. He was immediately placed on the bed, where, after giving a few more gasps, he expired. Such was the end of an affectionate and dutiful son, a kind and devoted brother, and a most worthy young man in every respect.     Up to the time of becoming invalided he was in the employ of Mr Harry Day, saddle and harness maker, of this town, and while in that position he succeeded in winning the confidence and esteem of his employer, and the goodwill and respect of all with whom he came in contact. He has been cut down in the flower of youth, his age being only 23 years; his bright visions of the future have been dispersed; and his widowed mother is called upon to undergo one more trial, the saddest trial of all – the loss of a dearly loved one. The deeply impressive character of the funeral obsequies will long be remembered by those who took part in them. At about half past 2 o’clock on Sunday afternoon the remains were borne towards the Roman Catholic Church, preceded by upwards of a hundred of the deceased’s late most intimate friends and comrades wearing white crepe sashes and hatbands. Upon reaching the steps leading to the church the processionists opened out forming a line on either side of the footpath, from the church ground gates to the church, and the body borne by four friends and followed by the deceased’s relatives passed between the open ranks into the church. The religious ordinance having been celebrated by the Rev D O’Kennedy, the remains were borne from the church in the same manner as they entered it. The following was the order of procession, which was nearly half a mile long as it passed along Bridge Street:-1.Rev D O’Kennedy in a buggy; 2. Hearse; 3. Coffin borne by four friends; 4.Relief relays; 5. 100 male friends on foot; 6. Deceased’s relatives in vehicles; 7. Hearse with the remains of the late Mr J Halpin Snr; 8. Deceased’s relatives in vehicles; 9.About 50 vehicles with mourners; 10. 100 horsemen.

   It was beyond all doubt the largest and most imposing funeral cortege seen in the district. After bearing the coffin as far as Hospital Hill on the Canowindra Road, it was transferred to the hearse. In consequence of the late rains the road to the cemetery was in a dreadfully sloppy state, but, utterly regardless of mud, slush and every attendant discomfort, the hundred pedestrians plodded along to the cemetery, evidently determined not to allow any superable obstacle to interfere with their self-imposed labour of love. The scene at the cemetery as the body was lowered into its last resting place was affecting in the extreme, many an eye being dim and many a tear being shed.]

19 Sep 1891 A  man named McKenzie died at the Wallaroos.Mackenzie: Cowra Free Press 25 Sep 1891.Mr A Mackenzie, a very old resident of the Cowra district, died at his son’s residence, Belmore, on Thursday night. It was decided to inter the body by the side of the deceased’s late wife in the Cemetery at Cowra. The funeral moved from Belmore on Saturday morning, a large number of mourners taking part in the obsequies. A great number of friends from Cowra joined the procession some distance on the Canowindra side of the cemetery.]
19 Sep 1891 Old John Halpin died at Cowra.[See Enright entry above for funeral cortege detail.]
31 Oct 1891 Behan, the Tailor, living opposite the Centennial Hall died from La Grippe. [Daniel Beahan, age 56, son of Maurice Beahan and Mary. Married to Margaret Flanagan. His son, also Daniel, died  in June 1894 when the Obituary provides some background to the family. Cowra Free Press 16 June 1894: Melancholy Death. Much sorrow has been expressed in the community at the demise of Daniel Beahan, son of Mrs D Beahan, who has since the death of her husband nearly three years ago, with the assistance of her sons, been conducting a tailoring business in Kendall street. This youth, who was very courteous and industrious, was between 17 and 18 years of age, and after having been at Young for about eighteen months to learn the cutting branch of the trade, had returned home about Easter time, when it was hoped his improved ability as a workman would constitute an important factor in the support of the family. Some five weeks ago he was attacked by typhoid fever, and was doing well under the able treatment of Dr Bartlett, but he had the misfortune to contract a relapse which proved fatal, and he breathed his last on Wednesday morning. On Thursday his remains were interred in the Catholic Cemetery. A number of townspeople attended the funeral and the Rev Fr McGee attended at the grave. The bereaved family have of late had more than the average share of trouble, as Miss N Beahan has but recently recovered from an attack of typhoid and her mother has been under treatment for inflammation of the lungs. The deepest sympathy is felt for Mrs Beahan in her affliction, and we are informed that steps are being initiated by a number of the ladies of Cowra to tender her some practical relief by means of a benefit concert.] 
1 Nov 1891 Beahan buried this evening.. Influenza and La Grippe in most every house in Cowra.
9 Nov 1891 Florance, the Publican at Woods Flat, died. La Grippe. [Cowra Free Press 13 Nov 1891: Death of Mr John Florance. The genial and kind hearted landlord of the Royal Hotel, Woodstock, Mr John Florance died on Friday night at his residence, Woodstock, after an illness of only a few days. Influenza, with sundry complications, proved too much for a constitution that had been literally shattered some time previously. The case, from the first, baffled medical skill and all that careful nursing and affection could devise. The deceased leaves a widow and five young children to mourn the loss of an affectionate husband and parent. The late Mr Florance followed the avocation (sic) of a gold miner in various portions of the colony; but more recently at Mt McDonald, where he was generally esteemed and respected by everyone with whom he came in contact. Very deep regret at the early demise of one who had many good parts, is freely expressed.]
15 Jan 1892 Mrs John Hackett has another young son.  Angus L.Hackett new grandson of the diarist..His mother was sarah , nee O’Shaughnessy]
6 Feb 1892 (David Houghton), a railway fettler killed last night on the line near Pipe Clay Creek.[Houghton was travelling on a rail tricycle and was hit by a midnight train, between Cowra and Wattamondara, where his son Ben Houghton, lived. The report on the inquest can be seen in CFP of 12 February 1892.]
19 Feb 1892 John Whitty died from cancer in the throat. [Cowra Free Press 26 February 1892. We regret to record the death of an old and respected resident of this district, Mr John Whitty, who passed away early on the morning of the 19th Instant, after va long and painful illness. The decfeased had been ailing for years with cancer in the throat, and two years ago he underwent an operation in Sydney, but it was of no avail, and since trhat time he gradually sank beyond the reach of human aid. All through his illness, he was attended by Dr Bartlett and everything was done to relieve the suffering of the unfortunate man. He has been identified with the district for nearly 50 years, being engaged in grazing pursuits, and during this period he made many friends, by whom his name will be held in everlasting esteem.  Deceased leaves a sorrowing wife and family of four sons and one daughter, the eldest of whom being 23 years of age. The funeral took place on Saturday afternoon and was largely attended. The Rev Father O’Kennedy conducted the burial service.]
20 Feb 1892 John Whitty buried today
23 Feb 1892 A plumber named (William) Holtz died from foul air in J Connelly’s well at the Brewery, Cowra.[An account of the incident and the inquest can be found in Cowra Free Press of 26 February 1892.]
24 Feb 1892 Holtz buried this evening.
15 Mar 1892 Emily Frazer married to Jerry Richards.
18 Mar 1892 Old Mr (George) Sell Sr, buried today.(Age 65),
4 Aug 1892 Miss (Alice?) Garrity died.
7 Aug 1892 (Ellen) Mrs P O’ Brien died, for many years living at Coota.[Ellen age 84, daughter of John Kilbridge and Ellen Conway. Married to Patrick Joseph O’Brien. Died “Grant’s Corner”, Woodstock.]
10 Dec 1892 Patrick Walsh of Kikiamah near Young died in Sydney.[Patrick Walsh (1857-1892) was the eldest male of the eight Walsh siblings to emigrate from Co Limerick. Grenfell Record – Saturday, 17.12.1892News reached town last Saturday of the death of Mr Patrick Walsh Snr. of Kikiamah. The deceased gentleman, who was in his seventy-sixth year, succumbed to an attack of bronchitis.

Of late, Mr Patrick Walsh resided in Sydney whither he removed shortly after his second marriage. He, with two brothers and three sisters, landed in Sydney on 1.8.1844; of that party one sister and two brothers survive, there being also another sister still living in the old home in Ireland.

The brothers came to Bowning near Yass where they commenced squatting on a small scale, renting a cattle station at Illalong where they remained three years, when the cattle became too numerous and they then rented part of O’Meally’s station on Tyayong Creek. Two years afterwards Kikiamah was purchased from Mr W.R. Watt Snr;  this was about 1851 and the station has been in the hands of the family ever since.

The deceased, his brother Mr Thomas Walsh, the late D.C. McGregor, Mr Watt Snr. Mr J.B.Wood, Mr B.Boland and Mr Caldwell were the pioneers of this district. Mr Thomas Walsh afterwards went to the Lachlan, residing at Goolagong for 13 years and then removed to Cowra where he still is. Mr W.Walsh, the other brother, is at Forbes. By his first wife, Mr Patrick Walsh had two sons and four daughters;  of the former Mr Patrick Walsh Jnr is now Manager of Kikiamah;  one daughter a professed nun and highly accomplished lady died in the Goulburn Convent, another who was on her way home from the Convent died at Yass where she is buried;  a third daughter (Mrs John Cullinane) died at Grenfell some three years or more ago. The surviving daughters, Mrs P.M. Cullinane and Mrs D. McGrath reside still. It is well remembered that the first Mrs Walsh met her death through an accident on the Cowra Road just outside Grenfell. Mr Walsh married again recently, his second wife being the widow of the late E.P. Agnew at one time Manager of the Old Oriental Bank at Grenfell. The writer of this notice and many other old residents of Grenfell can testify to the lavish hospitality of Kikiamah in the days when Grenfell was a place worth living and not the extinct volcano it (socially) is at present.

Mr Walsh possessed a good heart and right genial nature, and although he had all, but reached the alloted span of life and had for along time suffered from the effects of a severe accident, his decease was somewhat unexpected. The body was brought from Sydney for internment in the family vault at Grenfell. Around the grave were many old friends from a distance.”]

28 Dec 1892 Old Joseph Smith Sr, died at his son’s, Cocumingla.
1 Jan 1893 Railway engine ran off the line tonight at Pipeclay  Creek, 9 miles from Cowra. The engine driver (James Willoughby) killed and the fireman’s hand hurt.[The Inquest is covered in Cowra Free Press 7 Jan 1893.]
23 Jan 1893 George (sic)  Lawrence Jr died. Rupture of a blood vessel.[James, b. 1873 son of George and Mary. Cowra Free Press 28 January 1893: Death of Mr James Lawrence. On Sunday last, Mr James Lawrence, who for some months past has been suffering from an affection of the lungs, and has recently been in such a weak state that his death was foreseen and expected, passed away quietly at his parents’ residence, at the early age of 19 years. He was good tempered and of an affectionate disposition, and had a large circle of comrades, who deeply mourn his early death. For some years the deceased was working with his father as a blacksmith, and he gave promise of becoming a skilled mechanic, being at all times careful and attentive to his duties, besides showing a considerable amount of natural skill in the trade. His death is very keenly felt by the parents, for whom sympathy is shown by all in the town. The funeral took place on Monday afternoon. The remains were followed to the grave by a large number of relatives and friends of the deceased. The Rev S Millar conducted the burial ceremony.]
24 Jan 1893 George Lawrence’s son buried today.
10 Mar 1893 Two small children buried. Diptheria. [Cowra Free Press 11 March 1893. The Diptheria. There have been several fresh cases of diphtheria during the week, but, we are pleased to say, they are all mild, which would indicate that the disease is at length dying out. On Tuesday last a death occurred, the victim being a daughter of Mrs Armstrong’s.]
30 Mar 1893 A daughter of James Anderson died. Diptheria. Buried this evening. [Ada Sophia, b.Cowra 1886, daughter of James Anderson and Frances Sarah Paton. Died “Yarra View’ Cowra. Mrs Anderson died three weeks later, as noted in Cowra Free Press of 22 April 1893:  Mrs James Anderson died at her residence on the Grenfell Road on Saturday last from blood poisoning contracted by an accidental inoculation of the diphtheritic poison.]
1 Jun 1893 Mrs P Walsh Jnr of Kikiamah died at Young this morning. [Bedelia (Delia) Kennedy (1861-1893) married Patrick Walsh (Jnr) in 1882. They had seven children, the last only weeks before her death. These were Margaret Mary (1883-1919 m. Edward C Agnew in 1905); Anne (1884-1963 Sr Columba);Helena (1886-1962 m. George Cottle 1916); Joseph Patrick (1888-1961 m. Florence Pearl McDonald 1910); Delia (1890-1972 m. Edward Fitzpatrick; Frances 1891-? M. Aenas Christopher McDonald 1939; Josephine (1893-1894).]
2 Jun 1893 Mrs P Walsh buried at Young this morning.
4 Jun 1893 William Cummings died at his sister’s, Miss Cummings, at 9 o’clock. Up at John Connelly’s place.[Cowra Free Press 10 June 1893. Mr William A Cummings second son of the late Mr William Cummings, who for many years represented the electorate of East Macquarie in Parliament, and to whose persistent and vigorous advocacy may be ascribed the building of the railway over the Blue Mountains, expired at the residence of his venerable mother in this town at about 9 a.m. on Sunday last, after a few days confinement to bed. The immediate cause of death was epilepsy, the result of an attack of sunstroke met with some 28 years ago in Queensland. During the last four years the late Mr Cummings was a resident of the Cowra district, and for a time yook an active interest in goldmining, but owing to the progress of the malady with which he was afflicted, he has been more or less an invalid the greater part of the time, his precarious condition, owing to the frequency and severity of the attacks during the past twelve months, being sufficient to cause his devoted sisters and other members of his family intense anxiety. For over a month past he had not been well enough to take his usual share of exercise, but nevertheless he appeared to be cheerful and contented up to Monday 29th Instant, when he manifested symptoms necessitating medical treatment. The day following he took to his bed, and a few hours later unconsciousness supervened, and in that condition he continued until death released him from further suffering. His end was of the most peaceful character possible, not a movement taking place to indicate that the spirit had taken its flight to the great Unseen. All that affectionate solicitude could dictate to mitigate the sufferings of our departed friend was done by his devoted sisters, who for a considerable time have been unwearying in ministering to every possible want of their afflicted brother, and to them it must be a very great source of consolation that he was privileged to enjoy all the comforts of religion during his latter days, and was so well prepared spiritually to enter the presence of his Maker. Our deepest sympathies are with the bereaved family in their hour of sorrow, the more particularly when we know the depth of their affection for the departed one.  The remains of the late Mr Cummings were removed at 4 p.m. from his mother’s residence to the Catholic Church, where the customary prayers were offered up by the Rev D O’Kennedy, the solemn strains of the “Dead March in Saul” issuing from the organ as the coffin was being borne into and out of the church. The body was removed thence to the railway station, followed by many mourning relations and friends, and was taken from there by rail to Bathurst. The members of the family who accompanied the remains to Bathurst were Mr D C J Donnelly, MP, and Mr S Wright, brothers-in-law of the deceased, Mrs Donnelly and Miss Cummings sisters, and Mrs W Wright Snr.  The late Mr Cummings was born at Clear Creek near Bathurst on June 6th 1834, and passed the early years of his childhood between that place and Hartley. Upon reaching manhood, he was engaged principally in taking draughts of fat cattle from his father’s station properties, to the Victorian marked, and while so occupied he was a well known figure on the road; his genial disposition and generosity winning for him legions of friends. In Bathurst and surrounding districts he was one of the most active and prominent supporters of sport in every form, his purse being ever open to assist in providing a day’s recreation. When the Lambing Flat goldfields were in the height of their glory his love of adventure and enterprise led him thither, and he played a very prominent part in the historic anti-Chinese riots which occurred on that goldfield, but at the same time he did his utmost to discourage deeds of violence. Returning once more to his father’s home at Clear Creek, he took an active interest in political elections, and assisted his father to achieve many a triumphant victory over influential and powerful opponents in his native electorate. In 1863, when the late Mr David Buchanan wooed the suffrages of the electorate of East Macquarie, the subject of this notice was one of his most valued, active supporters, and the return of that gentleman to Parliament upon that and a subsequent occasion was almost solely due to the influence exercised over the electors by the deservedly popular young Mr William Cummings. Attracted by the reports of large finds og gold in Queensland, our friend went there, and following mining pursuits at Gympie and other large goldfields in that colony, with varying success for a number of years, until stricken down by sunstroke. Intelligence of his critical state of health having reached his father, his removal to his former home was effected as speedily as possible, and there he remained until his energies were sufficiently recuperated to enable him to once more face the world. Since then he has been a Government contractor in various parts of the colony, the last four years of his life being spent with his aged mother in this town.]
5 Jun 1893 W. Cummings taken by train to Bathurst to be buried there. I was at the funeral as far as the railway Station. [The diarist had known him a long time. His diary records   “ 29 Apr 1857 Mount Dispersion. 10 miles. This is the place where Mitchell slaughtered the blacks. We met William and Keiren Cummings with two mobs of cattle for the Adelaide market.   30 Apr 1857 Camped all day. The Cummings stayed with us.” ]
6 Jun 1893 Stephen Goldsborough Alford died last night.[Alford, b. 1832 in England arrived NSW 1852 and Cowra in 1856. He was a sheepfarmer and racehorse owner, owning extensive land. He was a J P.and prominent in Cowra affairs. In 1854 he married Clarissa Jane Hilliard who had died 19 March 1883.]
8 Jun 1893 S.G.Alford buried today.
25 Sep 1893 Mr (John William) Phillips, Manager of the City Bank, Carcoar was murdered last Sunday night. Mrs Phillips was nearly killed and a lady visitor named Miss (Letitia Frances) Cavanagh murdered by a man that wanted to rob the Bank. Phillips did not have the keys.[The Inquest found that they were “wilfully murdered by Bertie Glasson and that he and others entered the bank with a view to rob.” Glasson was committed to trial in Bathurst on 11 October. A comprehensive report on the incident as well as the inquest can be found in Cowra Free Press of 30 September, 14 and 21 October 1893.]
2 Oct 1893 A young Glasson from Blayney was apprehended in Cowra and committed to Bathurst for the murder of Phillips in Carcoar and the murder of Miss Cavanagh and the attempted murder of Mrs Phillips.
8 Oct 1893 One of Mrs Hyams’ Twins died.
29 Nov 1893 Bertie Glasson hanged in Bathurst Gaol today for the murder of Mr Phillips, Manager of the City bank, Carcoar, and a Miss Cavanagh at the same time and place.[NOTE Cowra Free Press 21 October 1893 records that Glasson’s wife (Annie May) had written to Miss Cavanagh’s mother in the following terms:  “My Dear, Dear Mrs Cavanagh, It almost breaks my heart having to write to you, but stern duty compels it. I hear from Mr Bennett of your kind, noble, heart, and got up this morning from a sick bed to come and see you, but to my great sorrow, found you had left Sydney. I am trying to get up an appeal; for my unfortunate husband on the grounds of insanity, and I want to be assured that you will forgive him, for you must know that he was mad to do the terrible deed. The strong proofs of insanity in the Glasson family show this very plainly. All who knew him can tell how good and kind he was, and how at variance with his former life this deed is. Do not, I implore you, withhold your forgiveness; your angel daughter will look down from her home above, and wish you to forgive. Oh, Dear Mrs Cavanagh, you cannot believe how unhappy I am! My heart is too full to write more. All I can say is that if the worst comes, Almighty God will take me and my unborn child to a better and brighter world. Your Heartbroken Friend, Annie May Glasson.”]
31 Jan 1894 Peter Finn died. Cancer inside.[Cowra Free Press 3 Feb 1894: We regret to record the death of Mr Peter Finn, of Claremont Farm, Waugoola Creek, which took place on Tuesday evening last. The cause of death was cancer in the stomach, from which he had been suffering for some time, but its severe effects were only experienced about a fortnight ago, since which time every possible relief has been afforded by Drs Cortis and Bartlett. Mr Finn has been a widely-respected resident of this district for nearly twenty years, and was during his career engaged in mining at the Forest Reefs. He was a brother-in-law to Mrs Daly of the Australian Hotel, Cowra. On Thursday his remains were interred in the Catholic cemetery, having been followed from his late residence by a very large number of mourners. Mr Finn was 52 years of age and a native of Ireland.]
1 Feb 1894 I went to Peter Finn’s funeral.
6 Feb 1894 William Howey died at his residence in Cowra today. Supposed to be cancer on the passage to the bladder.[Cowra Free Press 10 February 1894. Mr William Howey, a prominent and popular townsman and a widely respected citizen, surrendered his spirit to his maker at 10 minutes to 7 o’clock on Monday evening last. Early on Monday morning it became evident to the members of the family that the deceased gentleman was rapidly sinking and that his hours were numbered, and at about 11 o’clock he fell into a comatose start from which he never rallied. His devoted wife and family and some old personal friends were assembled at the bedside when the spirit calmly and peacefully passed away to a higher sphere. So peaceful was his end that his attendants could scarcely realise that all was over and that nought remained but inert clay. The complaint which caused the death of our old friend first made its presence felt about two years ago, but so gradual was its progress that medical advice was not sought until about six months ago, and even then it was not thought that the affection was of a serious nature. In October the symptoms assumed a decidedly alarming phase and notwithstanding the unremitting attention of Dr F P Bartlett the insidious disease baffled his skill and the condition of our lamented friend became so extremely critical that it was deemed advisable to call in Dr W R Cortis in consultation. The course of treatment agreed upon being still unattended with any beneficial result, it was decided that nothing less than a delicate and critical operation would have any effect in arresting the progress of the disease. Accordingly, on November 29th, the sufferer, attended by Dr Bartlett, proceeded by train to Sydney, and two days later he was placed in Prince Alfred Hospital under the observation of Dr McCormack, Sydney’s most skilful surgeon. About the middle of the following week, it having become evident that an operation could not be averted, the late Mr Howey was placed under the influence of chloroform, and the affected internal organ upon being submitted to examination revealed the painful fact that the growth had reached an advanced and malignant stage, and that its removal was impossible. It being necessary to remain in hospital until the incision made in the stomach had partially healed. Mr Howey did not return to Cowra until the 15th Ultimo, and since that date, all that skill, constant attendance, and genuine kindness could accomplish to ease his sufferings has been done by Dr Bartlett. It is comforting to know that the last hours of our good, kind old friend on earth were passed in the bosom of his family, and that he was privileged to enjoy the companionship of the loving partner of his joys and sorrows. The task accepted by Mrs Howey was a most trying and difficult one, but she bore up bravely notwithstanding, and like a true devoted wife, remained at her post to the end, ministering unto the necessities of the poor afflicted one. Under the sad circumstances stated, it can be well understood that death came as a happy release to one who suffered so intensely. The Rev James Mcandrew frequently visited the bedside of the departed one, and we are pleased to know that he invariably the message of eternal life with evident joy.      The late Mr Howey was born at Belfast, Ireland, on April 1st, 1841, consequently at the time of his demise he was in his 53rd year. Being an adventurous spirit in his young days he visited many of the principal ports of Europe, and upon one occasion joined an army transport bound with troops for Constantinople during the Crimean War. He arrived at Sydney in 1864, and shortly after, he went to Araluen to try his luck at goldmining. In 1868 he was attracted by the reports of rich finds of gold to Grenfell, but failing to strike upon a patch there, he wended his way to Wood’s Flat, and since then he has been mainly a resident of this district. He married in 1871 the youngest daughter of Mr P O’Brien, a very old and respected resident of the district, by whom he leaves issue four sons and two daughters. Some years back, in the old coaching days, he conducted the Westville Hotel, on the Carcoar Road, and was subsequently landlord of the Great Western Hotel in this town. Hotelkeeping not being congenial to his tastes he relinquished that avocation, and thenceforth devoted the whole of his energies to the manufacture of aerated waters and cordials. In this particular line, he made a name for himself, having succeeded in taking first prize for soda water and other aerated waters against the world at the Melbourne International Exhibition. The late Mr Howey took an active and most prominent part in all the public institutions of the town. He was one of the promoters of the P.A. and H. Association, and we may say that it was principally to his energy and perseverance that it first owed its existence. He continued one of its best officers and most valued supporters to the time of his death. He also materially assisted to establish the local hospital, and was, up to the time he was incapacitated by illness from performing the duties devolving upon him, one of the most active members of the committee of management. He was also for many years a member of the Jockey Club committee. As a member of the Progress  Committee, of which body he was chairman, he was ever actuated by the laudable desire to advance the best interests of the town and district. It can well be imagined that the void created by the removal of so intelligent and active a citizen will be seriously felt, and cannot be readily filled. We knew the late Mr Howey intimately, and we aver without hesitancy that he was a man among men, the possessor of noble qualities of heart and mind, and sympathetic to an unlimited degree. Having acquired a knowledge of medicine through serving an apprenticeship to the business of chemist and druggist, his advice was much

sought when Cowra was unable to support a qualified practitioner, and his services were freely given at any hour of the day or night when called into requisition by suffering humanity. He was a deep thinker, a thorough student, and he possessed a phenomenal memory. Few men were more gifted and none more charitable and benevolent. He was ever a friend to the friendless, and a loyal and devoted friend to those with whom he associated. Take him for all and all his like we will ne’er look on him again.

The respect in which the deceased gentleman was held was testified by the large number of residents who followed the remains to the grave on Tuesday afternoon. The cortege comprised all classes and creeds, many of whom were moved to tears when they called to mind the many kind actions of their late fellow townsman. The body was borne from the deceased’s late residence to the hearse by members of the local Foresters’ Court, of which order the deceased was a member. About forty of the brethren, attired in sombre funeral regalia, followed the hearse walking two deep; then came members of the Oddfellows and Hibernian Societies, also in funeral regalia, and these were followed by over seventy vehicles and forty three horsemen. Upon reaching the Presbyterian portion of the cemetery the body was borne from the hearse to the grave by the former bearers. The burial service was impressively read by the Rev. Gould-Taylor FLS of Young, the Rev. James Macandrew being unable to be present. The religious ceremony ended, Mr R Courtice, Chief Ranger of the Foresters’ Court, read the solemn ritual of the order. The sympathy of our entire community is with the bereaved family in their hour of desolation.]

15 Feb 1894 A daughter of Thomas Anthony’s, 5 years old, died from Diphtheria. She is to be buried at Gunning Flat.
8 Mar 1894 Good news from Wyalong. Mrs J. Hackett of a son. [GordonT.Hackett, whose mother was Sarah (nee O’Shaughnessy) Hackett, the diarist’s first daughter.] 
28 May 1894 A man named (Andrew) Matheson from Mount McDonald. Typhoid. This is the first man died on Wyalong.
24 Sep 1894 Robert  Purvis.  Died at the Cowra Hospital. 93 (sic) years of age. [Cowra Free press 29 Sep 1894. Mr Robert Purvis, one of the oldest residents of the Cowra district, if not the very oldest, died at the district hospital on Tuesday morning after an illness extending over seven months. He was admitted to the institution in the first instance to be treated for ulcers on the legs, and by the time they were healed the infirmities attending old age crept up on him. He however retainred the full use of his faculties and enjoyed a good appetite until an attack of influenza completely prostrated him about a fortnight ago, from which he never rallied. The last hours on earth of the poor old man were soothed by visits from the Rev Frs O’Kennedy and McGee, and very many old friends. Mr and Mrs McCann, wardsman and matron of the hospital were particularly kind to the poor old fellow, scarcely ever leaving his bedside day or night for over a week. The remains were interred in the Roman catholic cemetery on Wednesday, the last sad rites being performed by the Rev D O’Kennedy in the presence of several old friends of the deceased. Purvis was born in England in 1806 and was consequently 88 years of age. He came to the colony about 60 years ago, and some six or seven years later became a resident of the Cowra district – several years before the village of Cowra was surveyed, and since then he has been almost continuously connected with the district. He was in the employ of Mr N Challacombe of Cowra for about 25 years and during the closing years of his life he was wholly dependent on that gentleman’s bounty. He was much respected for his sterling honesty and his devotion to his religion – sterling piety being as very marked feature of the latter years of this pure minded good old man. His end was peace most truly.]
25 Sep 1894 Mrs C. Nathong died.[Cowra Free Press of 29 September 1894: Death of another old resident: Mrs C Nathong, a resident of 23 years standing, expired at the residence of her husband, in Bridge Street, from bronchitis, after two days of illness on Tuesday last. The deceased was a kind hearted Irishwoman, who had few faults and many virtues. The funeral, which took place on Wednesday, was attended by many old residents, the religiou portion of the ceremonial at the Church and the grave being conducted by the Rev O’Kennedy. The late Mrs Nathong was 64 years of age. The mourning husband has our deepest sympathy
26 Sep 1894 Mrs Nathong buried today.
26 Sep 1894 Robert Purvis buried today.
7 Oct 1894 My uncle Thomas Byrnes (sic) died near Appin.. His estate worth £4,070.
24 Oct 1894 Mrs (Mary) Cummings died this morning. 85 years of age. Mrs D C J Donnelly’s mother. They took the corpse away by the 6 o’clock train to bury her in Bathurst.[Widow of Mr T A Cummings. See 23 Feb 1891.  Cowra Free Press of 27 October 1894 . Death of Mrs W A Cummings. It once more becomes our sad and extremely painful duty to record the death of a very old colonist and one of our most intimate friends, this time in the person of Mrs Mary Anne Cummings, relict of the late Mr William Cummings, who for many years represented East Macquarie in Parliament. Our late, good, kind old friend who has been extremely feeble of late years, was attacked by a fit of apoplexy at about midday on Tuesday and expired about half past three o’clock on the following morning without regaining complete consciousness. Up to the end of 1881 Mrs Cummings led a most active and energetic life, and then a paralytic stroke, which for some time threatened to prove fatal, left her almost helpless. About four years ago she was visited by a second slight stroke , which rendered her still more feeble, but her wonderfully sound constitution enabled her to vigorously combat her infirmities  until the third attack was sustained on Tuesday, and from this she never recovered. For a long course of years the late Mrs Cummings has been continuously tended  and nursed with heroic devotion and the purest self-denial by her eldest daughter, Miss Cummings, whose sole aim ever seemed to be the gratification of every wish, no matter how whimsical, of her idolised parent. Such instances of affectionate filial devotion are remarkable on account of their rareness now-a-days. To Miss Cummings the blow has been an especially keen one, seeing she has been deprived of the companionship and care of one who was especially dear to her. The remaining members of the deceased lady’s family were also devotedly attached to their good kind mother, but they had other ties which prevented them from following the example of their noble elder sister.  The late Mrs Cummings was born in August 1809 in the county Kilkenny, Ireland, thus at the time of her demise she was in her 86th year. In 1825, when only 16 years old, she accompanied her parents to this colony, and resided in Sydney for two years. She was married in Sydney in 1827 to the late Mr William Cummings, the young couple taking up their residence at Kissing Point, now known as Ryde where they continued for about two years. They then joined some of the early pioneer settlers and made their home at Clear Creek, near Bathurst. Mr Cummings, being a large contractor in connection with Government works for many years, was compelled to visit various districts in the west, but upon almost every occasion he was accompanied by the partner of his joys, and the happy couple invariably returned to their home at Clear Creek when they desired to enjoy a peaceful holiday. In later years, My Cummings having acquired some valuable station property on the Lachlan, devoted much of his time thereto, and eventually became one of the most successful and wealthiest of colonial squatters. He then entered Parliament, and while there proved himself one of its most active and energetic members. It was owing to his persistency and determination that the Government of the day were forced to build a railway over the Blue Mountains, and for this act alone his name should long be held in respectful remembrance by the people of the west. Through the frowns of the fickle goddess the late Mr Cummings was deprived of the greater portion of his station property in 1869, the old homestead  at Clear Creek and some property in the vicinity of Bathurst was all that was saved from the wreck. Mr Cummings died at Clear Creek very suddenly in 1878, and a few months later his widow, and two unmarried daughters came to Cowra to reside, Mrs D C J Donnelly, another daughter having preceded her here some time previously , and since then she has been a continuous resident of this town.  The late Mrs Cummings was one of the kindest hearted, most benevolent and charitable women that ever breathed the breath of life. She was never known to speak ill of a soul, while numbers can testify to her very many acts of kindness, and the hospitable greeting and treatment accorded by her to visitors of every station of life in Clear Creek. She was one of the purest minded beings that ever existed, and it might be truly said of her she knew no guile. The surviving members of the lamented lady’s family are Miss Cummings, Mrs D C J Donnelly, Mrs S A Donnelly (Armidale), Mrs S Wright, Mr Keiran Cummings (Darlington Point) and Sister Mary Beatrice of the Order of Good Samaritans, Sydney. She also leaves 31 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren.

  In compliance with the deceased lady’s wishes her body was conveyed to Bathurst per Wednesday evening’s train, a number of mourners and friends following the hearse to the station. The relatives who accompanied the remains to Bathurst  were Mr and Mrs D C J Donnelly, Mr and Mrs S Wright, Miss Cummings, Sister Mary Beatrice, and Messrs John, William and Thomas Cummings, grandsons of the deceased. Mrs S A Donnelly and Mr Keirin Cummings joined the mourners at Bathurst on Thursday. The funeral, which moved from the Roman Catholic Cathedral on Thursday evening at a quarter to six, was largely attended by relatives and friends of the family. The body was deposited in the family vault inj the Roman catholic Cemetery, the last sad rites being performed by the Rev Fathers P J Doran (Sofala) and Dunne (Bathurst.)]

16 Oct 1894 William Redfern Watt died in Sydney.
7 Nov 1894 I drove Crosbie out to the Burial ground and assisted him to build a brick wall around Peter Finn’s grave.
7 Nov 1894 I drove Crosbie out to the Burial ground and assisted him to build a brick wall around around Miss Garrety’s grave.