Births, Marriages and Deaths from Thomas O’Shaughnessy’s Diary. Part 2. 1881 – 1890.

Births, Marriage and Death records from Thomas O’Shaughnessy’s Diary (1835 – 1903) with newsoper obituaries and other explanatory notes, for 1846 to 1903.

Part 2 of 5.        This page 1881 – 1890


27 Apr 1881 Mrs Hartigan died this morning at 2 o’clock at Cargo.[Catherine (Walsh) Hartigan (1815-1881) had travelled to NSW from Co. Limerick with her husband Jeremiah (1812-1885) and her children Mary then aged 14, Catherine 11, Bridget 5 and James 2, as well as her sister Ellen Walsh (later Markham), on the ‘LORD STANLEY’ in 1850 to join her siblings. There were two additional children born after arrival – Sally in 1852 and Patrick in 1855.]
7 May 1881 Mr and Mrs Walsh started for Grenfell. Mrs P Walsh got thrown out of the buggy within a mile of Grenfell and only live one or two hours afterwards. P Walsh was also thrown out and three of his ribs broken. [: Margaret (Curry) Walsh 1819-1881, came to NSW with some of the Walsh siblings on the ‘Livingstone’ in 1841. She married Patrick Walsh 1817-1892 . in 1846. The Sydney Mail reported that on Saturday, 7 May 1881, Margaret, wife of Patrick Walsh of Kikiamah Station, Grenfell, was killed in a buggy accident while returning to Kikiamah from Cowra. About dusk the horses became fractious, left the road and the buggy overturned. Mrs Walsh was thrown into the water and the horses bolted. Mr Walsh was also injured – sustaining broken ribs. Mrs Walsh was carried a few miles to a neighbouring house where she expired shortly afterwards. She was buried in Grenfell cemetery at the age of 60 years. Cowra Free Press 13.5.1881 “The late Mrs Walsh who died from the effects of injuries received near Grenfell on Saturday evening last, was returning home from Cargo where she had gone to pay the last tribute of respect to a deceased relation* , when the journey was interrupted by so sad a result. The deceased lady was well known in this district where she leaves a large number of sorrowing friends and relatives. We deeply sympathise with the family in their hour of sorrow and bereavement.Sad and fatal Accident. On Saturday evening as Mr and Mrs P Walsh were returning from Cowra in a buggy, the former, who was driving, contrived to get off the road, and in endeavouring to retrace his steps the horses crossed a deep gutter over which they dragged the buggy with such violence as to precipitate the occupants with considerable force to the earth. Mrs Walsh sustained injuries of such a severe and serious nature as to terminate fatally. Mr Walsh, besides receiving some internal injuries, had three of his ribs broken. Mrs Walsh was a very old resident and well known and highly respected in this and the Cowra districts, her many virtues endearing her to all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance. The funeral, which took place today, Tuesday, was very largely attended by the townspeople and a considerable number of friends and relatives from a distance.  A report of the Inquest can be read in the CFP of the same date. [* Catherine (Walsh) Hartigan, sister of her husband husband, Patrick. FCM] “
8 May 1881 Pat Walsh came from Grenfell with word that his mother was dead.
10 May 1881 The corpse was carried to the chapel about 10 o’clock. Father Gaffey attended,
12 May 1881 Mrs George Francis died this morning.
13 May 1881 I drove Mrs Challacombe out with me to Mrs Francis’ funeral, to the burial ground
30 Sep 1881 Old (John) English died last night.
2 Oct 1881 (John) English buried today.
21 Nov 1881 I went and saw Mrs Challacombe. She seems to be failing fast.[Bridget (Walsh) (Neville) Challacombe, sister of his wife Margaret.]
23 Nov 1881 Mrs Challacombe no better.
2 Dec 1881 Mrs Challacombe died at a quarter to five o’clock this evening. Patrick Walsh and Pat, his son came from Kikiamah.  [Bridget (Walsh) (Neville) Challacombe (1823-1881) referred to in earlier notes on the Walsh siblings. Her obituary in the Cowra Free Press of 9 Feb 1881.      “ On Friday last an old and highly respected resident (Mrs Challacombe) passed over to the great majority after a lingering and painful illness. For months past, the deceased lady had been confinded to bed, during which time she endured the most excruciating agony without any apparent cessation. All that the best medical skill could devise to alleviate her sufferings was resorted to without avail. Early on Thursday morning an attack of paralysis supervened, occasioning a total deprivation of all sensation, and from that hour until death came to her relief our late warm-hearted friend never regained consciousness. As a friend, the late Mrs Challacombe was all that is good and true;  as a wife and mother she was devoted to the interests of those dependent on her, but as a warm, generous and charitable heart, our departed friend could not be excelled.  For many years past, Mrs Neville’s name was a household word on the Lachlan and at a later period when united to Mr N. Challacombe she still retained her character for kindness, geniality and the warmest charitable instincts. To the suffering, a good friend has been lost, and to our town and district a free hearted and noble minded woman. Much sympathy is expressed for the bereaved family and large circle of friends and relatives in their hour of sorrow and trial, by every member of our community. On Sunday afternoon persons from all parts of the district attended to pay the last solemn tribute to the memory of their departed friend. The cortege, comprising about forty-five vehicles and two hundred horsemen, proceeded from Ilfracombe Cottage, down Kendall Street to the Catholic Church where the usual solemn rites were celebrated by the Rev. Father Campion.At the conclusion of the ceremony the remains were conveyed to the Catholic cemetery where the final obsequies were performed. The funeral cortege, which was the largest yet seen in this district, afforded abundant proof of the esteem and respect entertained by all classes for the deceased lady. May she receive the reward so rightly merited by the charitable is our earnest prayer.”]


3 Dec 1881 We put Mrs Challacombe in the coffin. Hartigan came from Cargo.[Jeremiah Hartigan was her brother-in-law.] 
4 Dec 1881 Buried Mrs Challacombe. Largest funeral ever seen in Cowra.  [Cowra Free Press:- On Sunday afternoon persons from all parts of the district attended to pay the last solemn tribute to the memory of their departed friend. The cortege, comprising about forty-five vehicles and two hundred horsemen, proceeded from Ilfracombe Cottage, down Kendall Street to the Catholic Church where the usual solemn rites were celebrated by the Rev. Father Campion. At the conclusion of the ceremony the remains were conveyed to the Catholic cemetery where the final obsequies were performed. The funeral cortege, which was the largest yet seen in this district, afforded abundant proof of the esteem and respect entertained by all classes for the deceased lady. May she receive the reward so rightly merited by the charitable is our earnest prayer.]
9 Dec 1881 Old Mrs Maher from Sandy Creek died at the Hospital today.[Honora (Devine) Maher  Age 67, from Co Tipperary,. She had ten children.]  
10 Dec 1881 A son of Alick Middlemiss died this evening of inflammation of the lungs. [John 1878-1881 son of David Alexander Middlemiss 1846-1934 and Catherine (Hartiga)n Middlemiss 1839-1926.]
11 Dec 1881 Mrs (Honora) Maher buried this evening
11 Dec Alick Middlemiss’ son buried in the Jerula Burial Ground
5 Apr 1882 Mrs Manley’s/Manby’s child died
6 Apr82 Manby’s child buried today
16 May 1882 Patrick Walsh Junior married to Bridget Kennedy. [Patrick Walsh 1857-1909 of Kikiamah  m. (1) Bridget  (Bedelia) Kennedy 1861-1893.]
16 May 1882 Patrick McGrath married to Margaret Walsh.[Margaret Mary Walsh 1855-1925 daughter of Patrick and Margaret (Curry) Walsh.]
27 Oct 1882 Mrs Maurice Walsh died at Bungarillagong. [This may have been Elizabeth McInerney, married to Maurice Walsh in 1871. Not related to the eight Walsh siblings. Perhaps related to James McInerney who married Elizabeth Middlemiss.]
12 Jan 1883 Bill Edments drowned at Goolagong this evening.[The diarist and Edments had worked together in the Cowra district over the previous five years. There are 49 references to Edments in the Diary. Cowra Free Press 19 Jan 1883: “Death by drowning   – On Saturday our townsfolk were shocked with the intelligence that William Edments, a popular, most industrious and exemplary member of our community had met his death by drowning in the Lachlan River, near Goolagong, on the previous evening. It appears that Edments, who was known to be swimmer, George Langfield, and a blind man, named Welsh, were bathing in a deep hole in the river, which they had repeatedly crossed and recrossed, when Edments leaped off the bank into the hole, with the apparent object of diving. On returning to the surface of the water, he called for aid, but as his companion (Langfield) concluded he was only joking, paid no heed thereto until appearances clearly indicated his critical position. On being assured of this fact Langfield pluckily went to his relief, and succeeded in catching hold of his arm, but owing to the violence of the unfortunate man’s struggles, by which Langfield was brought under water several times, he was ultimately compelled to release his hold and strike for the bank, which he  reached much exhausted. That was the last that was seen in this life of poor kind hearted Billy Edments’ than whom a more genial, benevolent and generous member of our community never breathed.The death of such an exemplary citizen is deeplv deplored by every member of our community, among whom he raised very many warm friends, and not a single enemyA Goolagong correspondent writes as follows: ­Many of your readers will learn with regret the sudden death of William Edments, who was drowned in the Lachlan River, on Friday evening last near Goolagong. The deceased was an honest, straightforward man, and had many friends in this district who mourn the loss of so true a friend. His mortal remains were interred on Sunday last in the new burying ground near the township, where a great number of friends were present to pay the last token of esteem and respect to a right worthy member of society.”  A report of the inquest can be found in CFP of the 19 Jan 1883.]
13 Jan 1883 Bill Edments buried this evening.
23 Jan 1883 A child(Catherine) of W Duggan’s buried today.
8 Feb 1883 Old Mrs Joe Smith died.
22 Feb 1883 George Lockyer’s daughter (Rose) buried today
26 Feb 1883 Riley the shoemaker, died.
1 Mar 1883 Smith of Cocomingla died.
14 Mar 1883 John Smith of Cocumingla died.
19 Mar 1883 Fred Chivers buried today.
19 Mar 1883   Mrs Alford died today.[Clarissa Jane (Hilliard) Alford had married Stephen Goldsborough Alford, prominent local landholder, in 1854. Eight children. Age 52.]
20 Mar 1883 Mrs (Clarissa Jane) Alford buried.
26 Mar 1883 Jack Davis died.
30 Mar 1883 James Lynch died. [Cowra Free Press 6 April 1883. Death Notice: “March 31st 1883 at his Residence, Sheet of Bark Hotel, near Cowra, James Lynch,aged 42 years, born at Leitrim, County Meath, Ireland, having a wife and three children to deplore their loss”. Death of Mr James Lynch. On Saturday last, another old and respected resident of our district Mr James Lynch, of the Sheet of Bark Hotel, was gathered to the great majority after an illness extending over nine or ten days. The late Mr Lynch, who was a cousin to A Lynch M.P., arrived in this colony about seventeen years ago, and shortly after, took up residence in this district. During the past fourteen years he has been known as the genial and kind hearted host of the Sheet of Bark Hotel, and while occupying that position many a travel worn and weary wayfarer has partaken of his bounty without fee or reward. For genuine good nature he could not be excelled, in fact it was a byword with which his name was associated, consequently it is only reasonable to expect, under such circumstances, that his name will be held in fond and grateful remembrance by a very large circle of friends and relations. As an affectionate parent and husband our late fellow citizen was a model of goodness, and as a warm and devoted friend, none could be more genuine or sincere. The late Mr Lynch was a thorough sportsman, and a most enthusiastic supporter of the turf in this district on all occasions; but his efforts tom encourage horseracing in his immediate neighbourhood met with faint recognition, in fact he was a considerable loser by the repeated experiments instead of being a gainer. But one feeling pervades our district, viz; regret at losing so valuable a citizen, one whose place it will be difficult to fill, and this was fully testified by the very large number of persons of this and neighbouring districts – some coming long distances – who attended to pay the last solemn tribute to the departed one. A loving wife and three children are left to deplore their great loss. Our late friend was a native of Leitrim, County Meath, Ireland and at the time of his death, was just in the prime of his life, being only 42 years of age. We believe that about some twelve years back, Mr Lynch met with an accident, through which one of his legs was severely fractured in two places, and he was also permanently injured internally, consequently, although pneumonia was the immediate cause of death, he has been a very great sufferer for many years past from a painful internal complaint, arising out of the accident, and this doubtless accelerated the fatal end. On Sunday last the mortal remains of the deceased were interred in the Catholic Cemetery, near this town, where the last sad rites were performed by the Rev Fr O’Kennedy. The funeral cortege was one of the largest seen in this town for many years past, and would have been much larger had the news of the death been more freely circulated in the remote portions of the district. Our deepest sympathies are freely offered to the bereaved family.]
1 Apr 1883 James Lynch buried today.
29 May 1883 (Thomas) Byrne of Morongla Creek died.[Age 63. His son James was accidentally drowned at Morongla on 2 Nov 1878.] 
30 May 1883 Byrne buried.
13 Jul 1883 Mrs Thomas Collins died.
18 Jul 1883 Tom Fletcher got married to Nellie Robinson, Back Creek.
18 Jul 1883 Tom Fletcher got married to Nellie Robinson, Back Creek 
29 Jul 1883 Mrs Hurst birth of a young son.[John, son of George and Elizabeth Hurst.]
7 Aug 1883 John Pierce died at Goolagong today.
10 Aug 1883 Dick the Soldier buried today. 
19 Aug 1883 Tom Rankin of the “Sheet o’ Bark” died last night.
22 Aug 1883 Bernard Monaghan hung himself in a shed at the back of his own house at 4 o’clock this evening.
23 Aug 1883 Coroner’s inquest on Monaghan at 4 o’clock. 
24 Aug 1883 Monaghan buried this evening.
17 Sep 1883 Dick Carlin died. [Richard Carlin was married to Catherine Daly, granddaughter of Timothy Slattery (‘Mangles’ 1826’) and daughter of Catherine Slattery. Catherine Carlin was a signatory on 10.10.1885 to a petition asking for a fence around Darbys Falls Public School so children could tether their horses. A son Philip, went on to become an ANZAC at Gallipoli.]
18 Sep 1883 Dick Carlin buried in the Cowra burial ground.
19 Oct 1883 John O’Brien died last night.
20 Dec 1883 A blacksmith from Mt McDonald buried in the Cowra Cemetery today.
2 Jan 1884 Sarah O’Shaughnessy married to John Hackett . [Sarah , daughter of the diarist m. John Hackett. The Cowra Free Press, 4.1.1884: “On Wednesday forenoon the Catholic Church was crowded with townspeople, who had assembled to witness the uniting in matrimony of Miss Sarah O’Shaughnessy, eldest daughter of our much respected townsman Mr Thomas O’Shaughnessy, to Mr John Hackett, Telegraph Station Master, Gongolgon. The bride was fashionably attired, and looking charming. The bridesmaids, ten in number, likewise apparelled in the pink of fashion, appeared truly bewitching. The ceremony concluded, a large number of relatives and friends partook of a sumptuous dejeuner at the Royal. The happy pair took their departure on the honeymoon the same afternoon, many of the bride’s relatives accompanying them some miles out of town. We wish Mr and Mrs Hackett the fullest measure of happiness and prosperity the world is capable of according them. We know one man who has secured a dutiful, amiable, and most exemplary daughter, and a highly respectable member of society for a wife.]
27 Jan 1884 Enright’s son killed from a fall from a horse.[James, son of Patrick and Margaret. Age 21]
28 Jan 1884 I was summonsed on young Enright’s inquest. Buried today.
11 Oct 1884 Mrs Mallon died.[Mary (Walsh) Mallon , 1824-1884 wife of Peter Mallon, had travelled from Co Limerick with some of her siblings on the ‘St Vincent ‘1844In 1848 Mary Walsh (aged 24) married Peter Joseph Mallon of the Murrumbidgee. They were married at Yass with Father Lovatt officiating at the ceremony. Peter Joseph Mallon was born in Co. Longford, Leinster, probably at Ballymahan, c. 1809. He was the son of Garrett Mallon (1788-1838) and Winifred Costello (1786-1866). Garrett Mallon was transported for life in 1829 for ‘entering house’ and is buried at Jugiong.Peter Joseph Mallon, his mother (Winifred), four brothers (William, Garrett, John and Phillip), and a sister (Bridget) went first to America from Ireland and became naturalised American citizens before coming to Australia about 1842 to settle at Bundarbo. William went to Western Australia and John died in 1848 aged 25 years as the result of a fall from a horse. He is buried at Jugiong cemetery with his father.Peter Joseph and Mary Mallon in 1851 took up South Chidowla and later purchased land on the Murrumbidgee near Jugiong where they raised a family of six. In 1872 this property was sold and Peter took up Geranjula, a free selection. Although Peter had a good holding at Jugiong with cattle, horses and crops, he sold this and moved to Cowong near Cootamundra.]
9 Jan 1885 Old Thomas Ellis died.
25 Jun 1885 Old Mrs (Matilda) Marman Died.
30 Jul 1885 Mrs Williams’ baby died.[Either Mary E, daughter of James and Sarah, or Thomas H, son of John and Rose.]
31 Jul 1885 A man named (Denis) Riley died at Tom Walsh’s today. He was a blacksmith. (Age 52)[Denis, son of John and Ellen. NSWBDM 1269/1885.   Age 52 ]
1 Dec 1885 Mrs Margaret O’Shaughnessy died at 4 o’clock this evening. [Margaret (Walsh) O’Shaughnessy, 1826-1885 wife of Thomas, the diarist, had travelled from Co Limerick with some of her siblings on the emigrant ship ‘St Vincent ‘ in 1844.                                           Cowra Free Press – 3.12.1885 “ It is with feelings of the very deepest regret that we record the death of Mrs Thomas O’Shaughnessy, which sad event took place at her residence in this town on Tuesday afternoon. The deceased lady had been in a very delicate state of health for many years prior to her demise:  still when the end came, it was totally unexpected by her affectionate family. Despite the long period of suffering to which she had been subjected, our late old and highly esteemed friend bore all her afflictions and trials with fortitude and entire submission to the will of Him who doeth all things rightly. A loving husband and a grown up family of four daughters and one son (amongst whom the greatest unity has ever prevailed) are thus plunged in poignant grief for the loss of one whom to know was to love. The mortal remains of the deceased lady were interred in the Catholic cemetery yesterday afternoon, a very large concourse (sic) of mourning relatives and friends of all classes testifying by their presence the love and esteem in which she had been held.”]
3 Dec 1885 Buried Mrs Margaret O’Shaughnessy in the Cowra Burial ground. A very large funeral.
15 Oct 1886 R  Unsworth’s son (John) died. [John, son of Richard and Margaret A who d. 1881.]
17 Oct 1886 T Walsh drove me in his buggy to Unsworth’s funeral. He was buried in the Catholic Burial Ground.
20 Oct 1886 A telegram came from Cargo to say that James Hartigan was very ill. Mr (Alick) & Mrs (Catherine) Middlemiss started over.[Mrs Middlemiss was James’ sister Catherine (Hartigan).]
21 Oct 1886 A. (Alick) Middlemiss came from Cargo. James Hartigan given up by the Orange Doctor. Blood poison in the face
22 Oct 1886 James Hartigan died 11 o’clock today at Cargo at his sister’s place. [He had accompanied his parents (Catherine Walsh and Jeremiah Hartigan) and siblings as a two year old when they emigrated from Co. Limerick on the LORD STANLEY in 1850.]
23 Oct 1886 Thomas Walsh and A. Middlemiss went to Cargo to James Hartigan’s funeral.
14 Dec 1886 Mrs Adams died; (Margaret or Jane)
15 Dec 1886 Mrs Adams buried.
16 Dec 1886 (William) Whittaker the watchmaker buried today. Fever.[Typhoid after the 1886 flood. Husband of Mary (Lawrence) Whittaker. She married John Hyams in 1890.]
22 Dec 1886 Miss Ellen Caldwell died this morning. Buried at 3 o’clock this evening.
8 Jan 1887 Miss (Julia M) Pereira died from the fever. 5 days ill. [Julia M, daughter of Joseph and Mary A. NSWBDM 7115/1887.]
1 Feb 1887 A daughter of big Paddy Walsh got married to the oldest son of Peter Whittaker of Back Creek.[Charles R Whittaker m. Bridget Mary Walsh.Tthis P. Walsh, though Irish,  was not related to the eight Walsh siblings who came from from Co Limerick in 1844 and 1850. Nor is Bridget Mary the same person as Bridget Mary in those Walsh siblings families.]
3 Feb 1887 Grace Challacombe married Herman Davis, storekeeper, Cowra by Presbyterian parson at Cudgelo. [Grace (1867-?) daughter of Nicholas Challacombe and Bridget (Walsh) Challacombe,had a son and two daughters with Herman Davis.]
21 Feb 1887 Kimberley(Josiah) the Protestant parson died from typhoid fever. [Age 35. : Cowra Free Press 25 February 1887: In our last issue we briefly referred to the dangerous condition of the Rev. J. Kimberley, Incumbent of the parish, from the effects of typhoid fever, but we little thought then that his end was so near. For several days the rev. gentleman hovered between life and death, still it was sanguinely hoped by his many friends that his vigorous, wiry nature would enable him to combat the malignant stages of the disease; but, alas, he gradually sank until death seized him for its own of about 9 o’clock on Monday morning last. Happily, the last hours of the dying pastor were soothed by the presence of his fondly attached wife and family who had been hastily summoned from Sydney, whither they had gone for change of air and scene. Some four months ago, typhoid first made its appearance in the rev gentleman’s household, and since then, we believe we are correct in saying, each of its members has suffered from the prostrating influence of that terrible disease.  At one period the labour of nursing and watching the invalids entirely devolved upon the late Mr Kimberley, who, up to that stage, had apparently escaped contracting the dangerous malady, hence it is needless to add that such exhausting duties combined with natural anxiety could not do otherwise than to enfeeble one endowed with a peculiarly sensitive organisation. About four weeks ago our late reverend friend accompanied his family to the metropolis, returning to Cowra after an absence of a day or so to resume his clerical duties, as he hoped, but in reality to take to his bed with typhoid fever, that disease having developed during his brief absence. The attack at first was of an unusually mild form, so much so that after something over a week’s confinement he was considered sufficiently convalescent to take a little outdoor exercise. About a fortnight ago we saw himk walking above the town, but upon his returning home the same evening alarming symptoms set in, and thenceforward he gradually grew worse until his end came. During the late Mr Kimberley’s sojourn in the district, something over four years, he has identified himself with every public movement having for its object the progress of our town and the intellectual advancement of his fellow citizens. Through his influence the late Literary and Debating Club was brought into existence and flourished, until its more pretentious and less useful rival, the School of Arts, succeeded in supplanting it. He was also instrumental in causing the erection of the building used as a school of Arts, entering, with nine other townsmen, into a bond to the Commercial Bank for the amount of its cost. In cricket, too, he took an intensely lively interest, and besides holding the position of President of the local Club, he enjoyed the reputation of being one of its most active and brilliant members, consequently by his removal no ordinary vacancy has been created amongst our representative cricketers. When Mr Kimberley took charge of the parish here Church affairs were in a very disorganised state and a heavy debt existed on St John’s, but owing to the admirable qualities of such an indefatigable and energetic pastor as an organiser and leader, parochial affairs were immediately placed upon a workable basis and the debt on the church has been reduced to a mere trifle. Although equal to any emergency in collecting funds towards the liquidation of the parochial debt, the late Mr Kimberley was singularly sensitive about making any reference to his stipend, consequently, we are informed, it has been allowed to run into arrears until a considerable sum was owing to him at the time of his demise. This, under the voluntary system now in vogue may not be considered in the light of a debt, but surely a sense of honour will actuate the parishioners of a pastor to whom they are indebted for so much, to present his widow and orphans with the amount of arrears they are morally entitled to. We, in common with the many friends of the bereaved family, mournfully sympathise with them in their sad affliction, but being aware that mere lip sympathy will not suffice to provide the exigencies of life for humanity, we have ventured to suggest that it should take a sound practical form in the direction above indicated. All that was mortal of the Rev. J Kimberley was borne on the shoulders of four sorrowing parishioners from the Parsonage to St John’s Church, followed by a very large concourse of people of various denominations, many of whom came from a considerable distance out of respect to the memory of the deceased rev. gentleman.  A portion of the beautiful ceremonial peculiar to the Anglican persuasion was then performed by the Revs Read (Carcoar), Raymond (Grenfell), and Neild (Blayney), and was followed by a most affecting and forcible address from the Rev Archdeacon Campbell (Bathurst), who, after referring to the personal merits of the lamented pastor, urged his hearers to be prepared to meet their eternal doom, and in conclusion appealed to them to accord the afflicted family that practical sympathy they stood so much in need of. The Dead March in Saul was feelingly rendered on the organ by Mr Booth.The late Mr Kimberley, who was only 35 years of age, leaves a deeply attached wife and five young children to mourn their loss.]
22 Feb 1887 Kimberley buried today.
31 Mar 1887 Mary Caldwell married to Sid Lane.
20 Apr 1887 Bridget Walsh to be married today at her father’s place, Kikiamah, to Patrick Cullinane. [Bridget Mary 1852-1935. Kikiamah is the property on the old Young Grenfell road. Her husband was Patrick Michael Cullinane. There were four children. Two male Cullinanes married two Walsh sisters.]
10 May1887 Mrs (Catherine) Still died at 12 o’clock. [Cowra Free Press 10 May 1887: Mrs Still, a very old resident of this district, died at her residence, Lachlan Street on Tuesday after a lengthened illness. The deceased was afflicted with heart disease and dropsy for many months , and about a week before her death her condition was rendered hopeless by an apoplectic fit which had the effect of paralysing one side. We feel sure that many will miss the familiar face of so cheerful a friend and nurse in times of trouble and affliction.]
11 May 1887 Mrs Still buried today.
19 May 1887 A girl of Ted Cody’s, 8 years old, died in ten minutes.[Theresa ,daughter of Edward and Mary. Cowra Free Press 19 May 1887: Sudden death. A daughter of Mr Edward Cody’s, aged eight years, died at her parents’ residence in this town, without exhibiting any premonitory symptoms of indisposition, at about 8 p.m. on Thursday, 19th Instant.. At the inquest, which was conducted by the Coroner on the following day, from the evidence of the mother and a neighbour, it would appear that the deceased retired to bed apparently in the enjoyment of robust health, and a few minutes after doing so, a noise resembling a person choking caused Mrs Cody to enter the bedroom where she found the deceased on her hands and knees gasping for breath. Medical aid was at once summoned but the child was dead before its arrival. Dr Geraty, who made a post mortem examination of the body, gave it as his opinion that the child died from fatty degeneration of the heart. The jury found in accordance with the medical testimony.]
20 May 1887 An inquest on Cody’s girl.
20 May 1887 One of the Platts buried today.[Most likely James, son of William and Caroline. NSWBDM
21 May 1887 Cody took the coffin in a buggy with his wife and daughter to bury it in Carcoar.
2 Jun 1887 Mrs (Mary) Nelson, cordial manufacturer of Grenfell died from Bronchitis.[Mary (Kennedy) Nelson age 52.daughter of early settler Donald Kennedy d. 1880 at 84, and Mary Kennedy d.1889 at 101. Cowra Free Press 10 June 1887:  Mrs Nelson, relict of the late Mr T Nelson, cordial manufacturer, expired rather suddenly at Grenfell on Thursday, 2nd Instant, mdeeply regretted by a very large circle of friends. The remains of the lamented lady were conveyed to Cowra on Saturday morning and interred in the Presbyterian cemetery beside the remains of her late husband, on the same day, a considerable number of Grenfell and local residents attending to pay the last tribute of respect to a good, true woman, and highly esteemerd citizen. The deceased was a member of the respected kennedy family, long resident in this district. Two young children survive to mourn the loss of an indulgent and devoted parent. The late Mrs Nelson was never known to refuse substantial aid to any deserving cases of charity brought under her notice.]
4 Jun 1887 Mrs Nelson buried in the Cowra Cemetery.
20 Jun 1887 Lame girl (Henrietta Maude) of Charles Stibbard died.[Age 14.]
21 Jun 1887 Stibbard’s girl (Henrietta) buried this evening.
22 Jun 1887 George Hurst and I  making a coffin for a girl 7 years old. A daughter of Mrs Sparkes. A man named Glover living with her.[Catherine Glover?]
27 Jun 1887 Hurst and I made a coffin for an infant of R Anderson’s. [Minnie Alberta, died 26 June 1887, age 7 years,  daughter of Robert Anderson and Ellen Morrison.]
28 Jun 1887 Hurst went to the funeral.
6 Jul 1887 Mrs (Adeline G) Hayes died at the Railway Bridge. 
25 Jul 1887 Dr (Thomas)  Geraty” married to Miss Constance Freestone of Young. [Cowra Free Press 29 July 1887: Marriage. July 25 at Cowra by the Rev R  Barry Brown, Thomas Geraty MRCSE to Constance, second daughter of the late A S Freestone, Solicitor, Young. Geraty was later found to be not qualified to practice medicine. The whole scandal is set out in Ryall’s “Cowra in Days Gone Bye”.]
26 Jul 1887 Gertrude Arnold married to (Richard) Jamieson of Grenfell.
28 Jul 1887 (William) Conway died at Mrs Maloney’s, near Bang Bang.
29 Jul 1887 Mrs Daley died (Elizabeth) – old Mrs Payne’s daughter, the tall girl.
1 Aug 1887 Harry Hall’s eldest daughter (Mary) married to Bill Thompson
6 Nov 1887 Kate Enright married to John Simeon, Blacksmith.
22 Nov 1887 Miss Byrne married to a fettler on the line,[Sarah J m. Thomas P J Bryant.]
2 Dec 1887 Bob Ford married to Miss (Sarah) Henderson.
18 Dec 1887 Mrs Lane had a young son.[Sidney J F , son of Sidney F H and Mary (Caldwell) Lane.]
6 Jan 1888 Father Horan died in Carcoar
6 Jan 1888 Byrnes’ daughter that married the fettler about 2 months ago confined.( James, son of Sarah Byrne Bryant and Thomas Bryant.)
26 Jan 1888 Old Charlie Jones from the Pine Mount buried today.
13 Feb 1888 A four year old son of D. Donnelly died this morning. Denis, son of DCJ Donnelly and Ellen A Donnelly.)
14 Feb 1888 Donnelly’s son buried in an allotment near Dr Smith’s.
27 Mar 1888 Mary Monaghan died this evening at 3 o’clock from consumption.
24 Apr 1888 Mrs Carr died today, formerly Mrs Henderson and then O’Neill and now Carr.( Jane Carr, Age 59 NSWBDM 7926/1888)
25 Apr 1888 Mrs Carr buried in George Campbell’s burial ground
6 May 1888 A relation of Chapman of the Wallaroos died this morning. He is to be buried in Yass.
27 Jul 1888 Old Mrs W R Watt found dead this morning sitting in a chair[Mary (Grant) Watt, daughter of early settler John Grant. W Redfern Watt was the nephew Dr Redfern Watt, Emancipist, and surgeon and friend to Gov. Lachlan Macquarie, who was associated with the Lachlan Valley from 1827.] 
30 Jul 1888  Mrs Watt buried today at Bumbaldry.
6 Aug 1888 Thomas Robertson  married to Hannah Middlemiss.[Thomas Alexander Robertson m. Hannah Mary Middlemiss in Burrowa. Hannah was eldest child of David ‘ Alick’ Middlemiss and Catherine Hartigan.]
4 Feb 1889 One of the Crowes from Gobarralong on the Murray River – a first cousin of mine – called. Not long married. On his way  to Wowingragong Station of his. [This was Francis Cyrus Crowe (1856-1934) from the Crowe family, early settlers  of the  Gundagai/Jugiong area. He had moved to Wowingragong near Forbes, and had married Honora Hill only a few weeks earlier on 23 Jan 1889. The cousin relationship derived from the fact that their respective fathers had married Byrne sisters from Appin.] 
11 Jul 1889 George Dundas buried today. He died in the Cowra hospital.
12 Jul 1889 Old Mrs (Ann) Whitty died last night. [Ann, daughter of John and Mary. NSWBDM 8034/1889 Age 70. Married in Ireland to Patrick Whitty and came to NSW with him in 1841.]
13 Jul 1889 Old Mrs (Ann) Whitty buried today.
18 Jul 1889 Mary Abborton got married to (John) McLaughlin, a Tailor.
18 Aug 1889 Ellen Cullinane, Daughter of Patrick Walsh of Kikiamah, died at Grenfell. She and her husband were keeping an  hotel.[Ellen Cullinane and Mary O’Shaughnessy were first cousins. Ellen Mary Walsh (1862-1889) had married John Cullinane less than a year earlier on 1 Oct 1888. Cowra Free Press 30 August 1889:. We regret (says the Grenfell Record) to announce the death of Mrs John Cullinane which took place last Sunday morning. Everything that affection and money could do was employed in the endeavour to avert the stroke of the last enemy. No fewer than five doctors – two from neighbouring towns – were called in, but their services proved of no avail. Deceased was the youngest daughter of Mr P Walsh of Kikiamah. The funeral took place on Tuesday, and was very largely attended, there being 30 vehicles, 30 horsemen, besides a large accompaniment on foot; a great number of persons awaited the cortege at the cemetery, where the service was accompanied by the Rev Fr Gray.]
20 Aug 1889 Mrs Cullinane buried in Grenfell this evening.
26 Aug 1889  Rose Collins’ father died this morning.
21 Sep 1889 Tom Wills married to Maggie Robinson, Back Creek.
30 Nov 1889 N (Nicholas) Challacombe’s brother buried today. Cancer in the throat. [William, son of William and  Mary Challacombe NSWBDM 8048/1889.Age 73, came to   NSW when he was 70)
24 Dec 1889 Dr Smith’s only son died this morning. Diptheria.
25 Dec 1889 Dr Smith’s son buried in George Campbell’s Burial ground. .
7 Jan 1890 (Patrick) A son of James Hennessy drowned in a small dam near the house. He was about six .
8 Jan 1890 Hennessy’s son (Patrick) buried in Cowra today
20 Jan 1890 A Miss Breen married to a man named Ryan. [Catherine M Breen m. Philip Ryan NSWBDM 3222/1890.]
10 May 1890 Mr Walker, grocer at D Donnelly’s store died at Walsh’s Hotel at 12 o’clock today.[Most likely William NSWBDM 4667/1890.]
11 May 1890 Walker buried today.
14 Jun 1890 The youngest son of D Donnelly died.[NOTE Raymond S, son of D C J Donnelly.]
23 Jul 1890 George Wilson’s eldest daughter got married to John Hughes today at Bumbaldry.
2 Sep 1890 George Campbell of Jerula died at 6 o’clock  this morning. [Age 63. Hon George Campbell was first Mayor of Cowra and substantial landholder in the Cowra district. He was an MLC in the NSW Parliament for several years. Cowra Free Press 5 Sep 1890:Death of the Hon. George Campbell, M L C. Although the recovery of the above universally respected gentleman had been for some time past regarded as hopeless, quite a gloom was cast over our town on Tuesday when it became known that he had breathed his last at Jerula that morning at about half past one o’clock. For many years our late estimable gentleman enjoyed robust health, and beyond a passing cold or bilious attack he was free from the majority of ills that the flesh is heir to. About twelve months ago those who knew him best detected signs of impaired vigour, and as time went by these symptoms became more marked until he at length realised the fact himself that he was entering upon a state of health which was more serious that he had anticipated. When we last met him he complained of not feeling quite right, but added with characteristic cheerfulness – “But I suppose it is an attack of La Grippe that is coming on, and I must be satisfied with my lot.” Some time in April he consulted his medical adviser (Dr Smith) who recommended rest and quiet, but a few weeks later on alarming brain symptoms developed, which were almost immediately followed by partial paralysis of the right arm. After this he rallied for a brief space to a sufficient extent to be able to take exercise to be able to take exercise by walking about his bedroom with a little assistance. Eventually, however, he became too weak and feeble to leave his bed, and thenceforward he manifested little if any interest in worldly affairs, and could only be induced to partake of nourishment after very great persuasion. During the latter stages none but his family were permitted to see him. Although at times attacked by fits of incoherency he had many lucid intervals up to 8 o’clock on Sunday morning, at which hour he became unconscious, and, as far as we can learn, continued in that condition till the spirir departed for a happier sphere. Through the death of Mr Campbell, Cowra has lost a warm friend and public benefactor; and the colony an honourable, talented, conscientious, and high-minded son, of whom she had just cause to be proud. No man possessed a warmer or more sympathetic disposition than the revered departed. He deeply sympathised with those who were afflicted and distresse, and practical evidence of such has been frequently given in a most unostentatious manner. In fact it is only the recipients who, in very many instances, were cognizant of the extent of his beneficence and kindness of heart. It is people of this class who will miss the benevolent laird of Jerula most. But in every respect we have sustained an irreparable loss.   The late Hon. G Campbell was the eldest son of the late Mr Archibald Campbell, J P, of Lorn Park near Bathurst, one of the earliest free settlers in the west. He was born near Bathurst in 1827, and was, consequently, at the time of his death, about 63 years of age. Up to manhood he received the principles of education under private tutors, and on completing his studies he joined his brother John in pastoral pursuits, holding possession of the Toogong Station till 1853, at which period he visited Europe. While in Scotland he married the youngest daughter of the late Mr Hugh Blackwood, of Ayreshire, and returned to the colony in 1857. Having immediately after his arrival purchased the Jerula Estate and the Cowra Rocks Station from Mr H M Fulton, he made the homestead on the former his place of residence, where he has since continuously resided.  In the course of time he added Warrangong, Cowra Park, Cudgelo, and Wallangobba to his possessions. In 1881 yeilding to the solicitations of influential electors from all parts of the district, he offered himself as a candidate for a vacancy  in the Parliamentary representation of Carcoar, caused by the retirement of Mr E A Baker, and he acquitted himself so ably in his new career that at the next general election he headed the poll by a large majority, his colleague on that occasion being our old and indefatigable representative the late Mr Andrew Lynch. Mr Campbell did not offer himself as a candidate for re election at the following general election. Ijn 1887 he was appointed a member of the Upper House, and in that capacity he has never failed to weild his powerful influence on behalf of the town and district whenever occasion demanded. After the passing of the Public Works Act hw was unanimously elected to a seat on the Parliamentary Standing Public Works Committee. He was also a magistrate of the territory of over 30 years standing, and for many years was the recognised chairman of the local Bench. When the town became incorporated he secured a seat on the Council and was elected our first Mayor, a position of which he was proud, and which he filled with dignity and ability.  In all public matters he took a deep and warm interest, and the prosperous condition of many of our public institutions is in some measure attributable to his exertions. In railway matters the late Mr Campbell took a very active part, and when the fate of the loop line was in the balance he assisted materially to strengthen our position. He was an energetic and prominent member of the Public School Board for many years, and up to the time of his death was an elder of the Presbyterian Church, to which faith he was devotedly attached. The loss of two sons within about five years was very keenly felt by an over-sensitive and affectionate father, and he frequently referred to his affliction in grief stricken terms in ordinary intercourse with his friends. He leaves a widow and seven children – two sons and five daughters – to mourn their very heavy loss. It is matter for the very deepest regret that the two sons, who were in Europe  at the time their late father was stricken down, were not once more privileged to see him in this life. When his condition became critical they were at once summoned by cablegram, and are now on their way home. The shock to them when they learn the sad tidings will indeed be a sad one. The remains of all that was mortal of a kind-hearted and most popular citizen and a right worthy public man were interred at the family cemetery, Jerula, on Wednesday afternoon, when the last sad rites were performed by the Revs J Adams (Carcoar) and S Millar (Cowra), a lengthy and very interesting funeral oration being delivered by the former Rev Gentleman. A very large concourse of people assembled from all parts of this and adjoining districts to testify their respect for the memory of the deceased gentleman.]
3 Sep 1890 George Campbell buried at Jerula today
30 Sep 1890 Mrs Quigley died this morning. I drove Miss Aaron, the School Teacher at Broula, to Cowra. We started back from Cowra at half past 5 o’clock. It got dark just as we got to Quigley’s. I left Miss Aarons there.
10 Oct 1890 Some day this week, old Mrs Donnellan died on Morongla Creek.
13 Nov 1890 Joseph Male killed. The wagon turned over on him. The side rail came across his neck at Phillips gate, Conimbla.[John Joseph Male of Waterview, near Goolagong. Unmarried. ,Age 25. A report of the Inquest can be found in CFP  21 November 1890.]
14 Nov 1890 Joseph Male buried today.